Author Topic: Carnival Splendor stranded without power after fire  (Read 5119 times)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Carnival Splendor stranded without power after fire
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2010, 03:44 PM »
This quote from in there:

Gerry Cahill, president and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines.

When did they get rid of Micky Arison then?  I hadn't heard he had been replaced?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Imonlygoingforone

« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:27 PM »
This quote from in there:

When did they get rid of Micky Arison then?  I hadn't heard he had been replaced?

He hasn't - he's the big cheese for Carnival Corporation, http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-govmanage

Cheers

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:46 PM »
Ahh... so MA is GC's boss then?

Am I right in remembering that MA had carnival buy Cunard so that he could create QM2?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:08 PM »
Towing to Ensenada, Mexico.  If you ever get the opportunity to go there - don't.  It's almost as bad as Tijuana.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:47 PM »
To my knowledge all of the Carnival brands use Ensenada as what they call a "service stop" (i.e. they pull into the harbor and turn around) to circumvent the Jones Act when operating out of west coast ports to other US destinations.  Foreign flag ships legally can't serve a series of US ports without a stop in a foreign port.  I agree, though.  Ensenada is an arm pit of a port.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Looks like they are being towed in to San Diego now.  Much better choice for disembarking and flying passengers home.  The Airport is less than two miles from the port.

And the US Navy (of which I am a proud member) is flying emergency supplies over to the ship from the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) via HH-60 Seahawk helicopter (of which I fly).

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/09/tugboat-reaches-ship-stranded-mexico/

Bad press for Carnival but great press for the USN!

Also happy birthday to the US Marine Corps today!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Hey Bob :)

Have you been called away from your 'flying-a-desk' post
on to an extra-ordinary excercise, or whateveritscalled?

Happy US Marine Corps Day to you too!

Rosie

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Just curious ... the sea seems calm in all of the images I've seen of the Splender being brought to San Diego, would the ship had been in serious danger if the seas were rough?
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2010, 05:41 PM »
She's docked now as of 11:20 am ish pdt.  In case you hadn't heard, the cause of the problem was a "split" camshaft on one of the 6 main diesels which had to have done considerable damage to that engine and started the fire.  Reps from Fincantieri are being flown in to assist with the analysis and repairs.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:00 PM »
This post comes with a request!
'Please excuse my ignorance'

What do you think would make a cam shaft split?
Might there be implications then for other ships with the same shafts?

(Incidentally, and bordering 'on topic!)  - On Queen Victoria in August, people from Fincantieri flew to the Baltic as there was a broken 'bit' on '#1 tender' davit. The ship's crew worked hard, they replaced the part - overall, no time was lost. 
In my book, the technical guys on Cunard ships are second to none!)

richc1977

« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Gerry Cahill at a press conference refers to "guests".  You invite "guests" to stay, you don't charge them. If you charge them they are customers, or perhaps passengers?

Offline Twynkle

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2010, 04:01 PM »
I read that, in addition to making the passengers whole with transportation, refunds, and a future free cruise, Carnival also offered them the option of a free long weekend in a local resort to "unwind".  Also, crew have been put up in local hotels and will be paid the expected value of tips lost by the cruise cancellation.  I'm not sure how much more they could do under the circumstances.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2010, 09:25 PM »
I am sure the passengers will appreciate the compensation offered after what must have been quite an unpleasant experience.  Good to see that the crew are also offered some compensation. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank