Author Topic: Tourists Travelling on Cargo Ships or Mail Boats  (Read 13970 times)

Online Ben Zabulis

Re: CMA CGM Tosca
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Incidentally, and for something a little different, it is possible to travel on container ships as a paying passenger. We did this on CMA CGM Tosca from Hong Kong to Southampton. It was a fantastic experience, taking about 3 weeks. Surprisingly we were allowed full access to the ship including the bridge. Highlights were  passing through the Singapore Strait at night, Suez Canal, Officer's mess parties, great food/wine including lobster barbecue on deck - wonderful ! Here's a few snaps:

Offline Rod

Re: Re: CMA CGM Tosca
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:51 PM »
I am told, that as long as you don't mind structured entertainment, voyages like this are great.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Awesome, Ben, can you please tell us more ? And more photos ?  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:31 AM »
A trip on that would be amazing.

I'm curious about what facilities are available to passengers...

Is there an area where you can sit on deck in something like a deck chair/lounger?

Is there fixed dining times, and what is the food like?  What about out of hours?  And alcohol?

And how much room is there to walk around and stretch your legs?

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline cunardqueen

Re: Tourists Travelling on Cargo Ships or Mail Boats
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2020, 01:02 AM »
 A lady l met on QE2 told me of the time she did a Banana Boat voyage in the late 80s. Sailing from Barry in Wales with Geest Line . Only about 6 passengers. Sailing outward with general cargo, but sailing home with Bananas. she spoke in glowing terms . Everything was flexible from the sailing times to the ports and landing times. and everything was generally informal. I believe she sailed to The Windward Islands
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Ben Zabulis

« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2020, 07:18 AM »
There's really quite a lot to do on board. You can sit on deck or walk around the whole ship which is great and a necessity after all the food. We did well in choosing a French line as food and wine were top notch, think four course lunches and dinners with plenty of wine thrown in, There's a duty-free store on board so you buy drinks to have outside of meal times and/or cigarettes. Quality of food is comparable to cruise ships, though no choice is available and meals occur at set times. Waiter service is provided though not at breakfast which is a small buffet affair.

Cabins are very comfortable, there's one floor dedicated to several of these. There's also a Passenger Recreation Room with board games/DVD player and a library also. On a lower deck there's a small pool and a fitness room with weights and table tennis. One of our favourite activities was spending time on the bridge, looking at maps and playing with the GPS, there was never any restriction on doing this even during tricky manoeuvres or when pilots came aboard. Engine room visits can be arranged though these have to be supervised for safety reasons.

There's no entertainment as such and passengers are secondary, 'cargo is king' they say! There's only about 30 crew who spend about 2 months at sea, so in one way you become the entertainment as everyone is keen to meet and talk to a new face, On the whole we thoroughly enjoyed the trip and it did instil more of a maritime adventure feeling than cruising perhaps does, we were treated very well and getting to know the workings of the ship helped us feel a part of the operation.

Here's a few more pics:

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Thanks Ben for giving us an flavour of travel on a Cargo Boat.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Thank you, Ben. Now that is the sort of sea voyage I would love to do!

I remember as a child my grandmother telling us that she had travelled to Japan by "banana boat" -- her eldest daughter, my aunt, lived there. She also enjoyed it a lot, but I never asked all the questions I would ask today...

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2020, 01:37 AM »
Yes, I would definitely like to do this too !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Ben Zabulis

« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2020, 07:20 AM »
Isabelle, sailing into to Japan on a 'banana boat' must have been an incredible experience in those days, it's still a very impressive thing today ! Japan is one of my fave destinations.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Thank you, Ben. Now that is the sort of sea voyage I would love to do!

I remember as a child my grandmother telling us that she had travelled to Japan by "banana boat" -- her eldest daughter, my aunt, lived there. She also enjoyed it a lot, but I never asked all the questions I would ask today...

Amazing to do this journey on a cargo boat and like you say if you could go back in time you would ask so many questions. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Isabelle, sailing into to Japan on a 'banana boat' must have been an incredible experience in those days, it's still a very impressive thing today ! Japan is one of my fave destinations.

Another friend of mine travelled there by Trans Siberian Express once -- another great adventure too!

Online Ben Zabulis

« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Isabelle, I can imagine the Trans-Siberian being quite an adventure especially back then, so far this is one must-do journey which had eluded me - one day perhaps !

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2020, 01:34 AM »
Another friend of mine traveled there by Trans Siberian Express once -- another great adventure too! 
Now, that's a journey! It's on my bucket list.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2020, 06:51 PM »
In early late August/September 1938 my Mother, then aged just 21, sailed onboard a freighter, the SS Inkosi, from Bristol to join, and marry on 29th Sept 1938, my father in British Guiana where he was a year into a 3 year contract as a Missionary.
The Inkosi was a 6,618 grt, T & J Harrison Ltd operated, Refrigerated Cargo liner, with cabins/berths for 82 passengers, plus 11,000 cu ft/312 cu m of refrigerated cargo space over 2 holds. Inkosi’s usual voyages were; Bristol/London, Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Trinidad, and Demerara [British Guiana], which I think would have taken about 20 - 25 days roughly. 
Although Inkosi could carry 82 passengers, we have no idea how many were actually on my Mother’s trip as the Passenger Manifest only lists the 7, (a British Civil Servant, his wife and baby son, a single gentleman and 4 ladies, including my Mother, (the youngest) who were disembarking in Demerara.
Being stuck overseas during the war my parents were unable to return to UK until 1946 when they sailed via Kingston, Jamaica to Avonmouth onboard the SS Ariguina, an 5746grt Elders/Fyffes Line Passenger/Refrigerated cargo ship, built in 1926 by Alexander Stephens & sons of Goven. 
These were my parents only times onboard any ship and, apart from a week with my uncle in Paisley once, the only time they ever left UK! After my father died in 1986, my brother organised for my mother to fly to Vancouver to spend 3 weeks with one of her bridesmaids, her only time flying.
What they would have thought about my 20 years at sea, travelling all over the World both at sea and flying to join different ships I can’t think, but I suspect they’d have been really, really interested to know about all the different countries I’d visited.