Author Topic: Isn't she beautiful!!! (a parade of ugly cruise ships!)  (Read 77646 times)

Offline pete cain

Re: Isn't she beautiful!!! (a parade of ugly cruise ships!)
« Reply #180 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:42 PM »
 Peter regarding your reply above, I don't think the navy have any boats left, Tory boys have sold them for scrap, or laid them up waiting for scrap

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #181 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:42 PM »
I didn't think there was any Army left either these days! ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #182 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Another candidate : P&O's Azura ... particularly at this angle :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/worlddiscoverer/10914968133/
I'm on this later this year for a cruise to Norway to celebrate my in-laws retirement. Can't grumble too much as it a free trip they are paying for, but, I'm not looking forward to my first trip on a block of flats that's for sure.  It's also going to be tinged with sadness as the Norwegian Fjords was always my dream trip on QE2 but I never quite made it before the fateful day came.

Jdl

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #183 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:07 PM »
At least if one is on board a floating block of flats one cannot see the said floating block of flats... ::)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Christ follower, liner lover, and Okie.
« Reply #184 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:45 AM »
Relating to my previous posting, that particular monstrosity has just assaulted my eyes in the newspaper today!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10482144/Floating-city-Plan-for-40000-people-to-live-on-the-high-seas.html

Interesting, though, that what is effectively a mile long aircraft carrier built by the private sector carries the same price tag as the two much smaller public sector carriers being built at the moment....!!

One saving grace - it says this monstosity is too big to ever enter port anywhere ( wonder how they're going to build it, then.. ) so at least it'll be out of sight!
They've been planning this for years. I'm surprised its still on the table. They had a rendering of the QE2 next to it. The QE2 looked tiny!
The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

SS United States forever.

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #185 on: Jul 06, 2014, 02:02 AM »
Relating to my previous posting, that particular monstrosity has just assaulted my eyes in the newspaper today!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10482144/Floating-city-Plan-for-40000-people-to-live-on-the-high-seas.html

Interesting, though, that what is effectively a mile long aircraft carrier built by the private sector carries the same price tag as the two much smaller public sector carriers being built at the moment....!!

One saving grace - it says this monstosity is too big to ever enter port anywhere ( wonder how they're going to build it, then.. ) so at least it'll be out of sight!
Well, it says it has schools, hospitals, and an airport. But I sure hope it has its own marina full of lifeboats.

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #186 on: Jul 06, 2014, 02:05 AM »
I don't know how one could design a ship like these ones- they have no character. They all look the same, in a very ugly way. And does anyone- ANYONE- actually think these ships look good?

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #187 on: Jul 06, 2014, 09:36 AM »
I don't know how one could design a ship like these ones- they have no character. They all look the same, in a very ugly way.

Most Ocean Liners have character, they are all unique and nearly all good looking unlike today's Cruise Ships.

...does anyone- ANYONE- actually think these ships look good?

I doubt it.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #188 on: Jul 06, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Thank you for reassuring my sanity Adam.  ;D

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #189 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Off topic (or at least the link I am about to post is) however, someone was messing in photoshop apparantly and edited a cruise ship. I found it quite amusing though because if they carry on growing at the same rate, I'm sure they'll start to look like this before long.

Here is the link however I have added the actual photo downloaded from the site as an attachment as the link isn't really to do with the topic.

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/photoshop-comedian-makes-nyc-a-whole-lot-stranger
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #190 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Please don't give the designers any more ideas!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #191 on: Aug 04, 2014, 04:30 PM »
I agree with Peter wholeheartedly !!
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Bob C.

« Reply #192 on: Aug 04, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Why keep going up?  There should be some way to put in some underwater view cabins....snicker snicker...

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #193 on: Aug 05, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Why keep going up?  There should be some way to put in some underwater view cabins....snicker snicker...

No really.... Please don't give the designers any more ideas !!!!  ;)
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #194 on: Aug 05, 2014, 08:35 PM »
No really.... Please don't give the designers any more ideas !!!!  ;)

I agree. They're already getting too big!