Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 132013 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Accidents and mishaps at sea
« Reply #420 on: Apr 01, 2024, 05:05 PM »
Thankyou Thomas for the info, wish the news stations would reach out to someone like yourself before going on the air with their crackpot theories! Particularly liked the 'why didn't they drop the Anchors?', folks have been watching too many movies.

The Mighty Mo's handbrake turn in Battleship (2012) is repeating in my mind now  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2024, 05:16 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #421 on: Apr 02, 2024, 12:29 PM »
The Mighty Mo's handbrake turn in Battleship (2012) is repeating in my mind now

Yes exactly, fun movie by the way, also like the sudden stop in Pirates of the Caribbean ;D.

On a side not regarding 'Battleship' where the museum ship gets re-activated, the USS New Jersey was just towed to drydock for maintenance and was able to fire her guns on the way.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #422 on: Apr 02, 2024, 01:47 PM »
Excellent she was able to fire some of her guns! Presumably one of the pair of 5 inch secondary mounts? I've seen bits of her move to and sitting in drydock but missed that bit.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Rod

« Reply #423 on: Apr 07, 2024, 09:17 AM »
Here is a commentary from Chief Makoi on the Dali. This man is extremely intelligent and well read. If you pass any of this on, please give him credit.
Also his site is well worth reading. He was recently asked to give a dissertation to a large packed house in London.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #424 on: May 14, 2024, 12:35 PM »
Some progress going on in Baltimore.
A large section of the bridge that was resting on the container ship was demolished with explosives yesterday.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #425 on: May 14, 2024, 04:20 PM »
Thanks Chris for posting the photo that shows the fire from the explosives - brilliant picture. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #426 on: May 14, 2024, 07:30 PM »
The video is pretty spectacular too :D

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #427 on: Jun 24, 2024, 06:00 PM »
Saw this image, vessel name unknown……Ouch!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #428 on: Jul 25, 2024, 10:31 AM »
BBC has reported on ships affected by Gaemi, Taiwan's first typhoon of the year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ce98pq4e3d1t

"The MT Terra Nova sank in the Manila bay while carrying 1.5 million litres of industrial fuel, prompting fears that it could be the worst oil spill in Philippine history if not contained"

Rescuers in Taiwan are searching for nine sailors missing after cargo ship Fu Shun capsized. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank