Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 132017 times)

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Re: Accidents and mishaps at sea
« Reply #225 on: Jun 02, 2019, 09:08 PM »
She was due here in Kotor tomorrow (Monday) at 14:00. I am guessing she may not make it.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #226 on: Sep 09, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Closely watching this incident as it occurred in a port fairly nearby. Will be very interested to discover the cause, water looks very shallow. Media were trying to blame it on Dorian...of course that had left the area on Friday, the capsize occurred Sunday....

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #227 on: Sep 09, 2019, 11:03 PM »
It's not clear from the pictures, and I've seen nothing on the news, but is that an auto liner?  There have been several of these in trouble in recent years, usually because the cargo has shifted.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #228 on: Sep 09, 2019, 11:44 PM »
It's not clear from the pictures, and I've seen nothing on the news, but is that an auto liner?  There have been several of these in trouble in recent years, usually because the cargo has shifted.

Car carriers are notoriously awkward when they are partially or completely empty, especially if the heavy machinery/plant etc has been off loaded and possibly only light vehicles left onboard.
With her high freeboard she is a 'sitting duck's for strong winds at low speed and when manoevering, as such she will regularly require guys to control her when entering and leaving harbour.
It's a similar situation to the big cruise ships with deck upon deck of balconies.
An old Norwegian Captions whom I served with on several occasions, Captain Tues Lura, when Captain of RVS would greet the pilot on his arrival on the bridge with the words, " Mr Pilot I have a problem with wind!"
RVS was one of the early ships to have numerous balconies.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #229 on: Sep 10, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Closely watching this incident as it occurred in a port fairly nearby. Will be very interested to discover the cause, water looks very shallow. Media were trying to blame it on Dorian...of course that had left the area on Friday, the capsize occurred Sunday....

Strange incident... With the finale of the rescue very reminiscent of the Poseidon adventure film.  So glad the crew are all ok.  Ship looks in very good condition, wonder what mistake was made and by whom

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #230 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:21 PM »
Car carriers are notoriously awkward when they are partially or completely empty, especially if the heavy machinery/plant etc has been off loaded and possibly only light vehicles left onboard.

Apparently she was fully loaded and departing to go to Baltimore, I've seen reports of 4000 vehicles onboard.
Port of  Brunswick, Georgia is heavily used for vehicle and machinery transport, Kia, Mercedes, Porsche and Caterpillar have plants in the state.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #231 on: Sep 10, 2019, 06:44 PM »
They've said it was all Hyundai and Kia cars.

What a waste, they'll all be scrapped.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #233 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:57 PM »
And the first prize goes to Carnival for at least having the decency to hit one of their own ships!!
 :) :) :) :)

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2019, 10:03 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #234 on: Dec 20, 2019, 10:43 PM »
Well, they've hit enough docks in recent years haven't they?  I guess they thought they'd go one better.  After all, why break one ship when you can break two at the same time...?! ::)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #235 on: Dec 21, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Looks like a lot of damage - hope no-one was hurt in the incident. 

The Captain will be in big trouble this morning :(
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline skilly56

« Reply #236 on: Dec 21, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Looks like a bit of Xmas paperwork coming up for someone!

Normally the occifer down aft would be calling the distances.
Wonder if he (she) got fixated by distance to bow at the waterline and forgot to look up and check bow projection at the foc'sle?

Or was it just too much wind/not enough thrusters?

Skilly

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #237 on: Dec 22, 2019, 11:23 AM »
CNN news report states that 6 guests had minor injuries.  Also the passengers were allocated $100 onboard spend because of the collision. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #238 on: Dec 22, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Back in 2009 the Carnival Legend brushed against the RCCL Enchantment of the seas in Cozumel.
Love the footage at the end of Carnival crew hurredly painting over the damage......

Link

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #239 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Back in 2009 the Carnival Legend brushed against the RCCL Enchantment of the seas in Cozumel.
Love the footage at the end of Carnival crew hurredly painting over the damage......

Link

Oh I remember that on the news at the time!

I get the impression, though, that the painting work was a few days later rather than immediately it happened?