Author Topic: QE2 Model 1:450 scale - finished at last! [Gunze Sangyo]  (Read 42561 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: QE2 Model 1:450 scale - finished at last! [1]
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Looking good Pete, what a pity that construction work has to stop to decorate the sitting room.   :) Looking forward to seeing more pictures. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline pete cain

« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, I enclose the last images for a while , because of sitting room refit as mentioned ,
 I hope not to be hijacking Alistairs original topic, I tagged this on because it's the same model..
  1 .     the  dockyard (hardly Clydebank is it?)
   2.     that magnificent flank, got admit to just holding it & gazing for ages at this   a thing of beauty is a joy forever they say...

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Awesome photos, Pete, and awesome work on QE2's build !  Keep up the good work and I shall look forward to more pictures as she progresses.  QE2 is just so beautiful even in model form !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline pete cain

« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:13 PM »
Can't hope to match Lachlan & Pete in the model stakes , but after a near 12month lay up here's another QE2 in a bit of a state , with bits positioned prior to fitting , glueing & filling....

Offline Peter Sutton

• Lido Diner
  • QE2 is Design and workmanship at its best
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:25 PM »
great jod Pete, really fantastic work, well done.

Offline pete cain

Re: QE2 Model 1:450 scale - finished at last! [Gunze Sangyo]
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:42 PM »
Once again, apologies to Alistair , who may think I've hijacked his topic, but this is the same model so I tagged it at the end.
  Just a little landmark on mine, that is, its 1 & only basin (in this case bath) trial, this model is very lightweight being plastic ,  I thought I'd give it a bit of weight & gravitas when being handled, & deceided to  balast it at the same time , so that she also sits nice & pretty in the water . Trials successful, shipped a wee bit of water in through the rudder , but that's not sealed anyway, now high & dry again , ready for upper deckworks to start.
 Thanks also to Mark for info regarding handrails (not included in the kit pack) which I've yet to order.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:11 PM »
Awesome work, Pete, and thanks very much for posting about your work on your model and for the photos.  Yes, it does indeed appear that QE2's basin trials have been most successful and she is sitting very nicely in the water.  Please keep us up to date with photos and commentary as work progresses.  (Oh, and by the way, how much time does supervisor Jim spend in your shipyard ?   ;D)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:55 PM »
Hi Pete - How did your QE2 model sit in the water before adding ballast ?  How much did you add and where you add it ?  What did you use for ballast ?  Thanks !  June.  :)

Offline pete cain

« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Hi June,  the model sat quite high out of the water, but reasonably steady, I say reasonably because I think these models were originally made to motorise &  sail on ponds/ park lakes, so would 've had to be made more stable, although there  are no hints in the instruction sheet (such as it is ) enclosed in the kit. The balast needed to be installed before the upper decks, so now seemed the best time to do it.
I'm  afraid I used trial & error with the amount, using photos as a guide from the real thing, I just loaded it up so that the white line was just above water level ,  as for the material , after rooting around the garage I deceided on ceramic wall tile adhesive, dense enough to give the weight needed,  not 'wet' as such - hardened in a few days, & got to admit it 'feels' right when handling it now.
  As for the overseer, he was in the house inspecting the inside of his eyelids again  ::)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Thanks very much, Pete, for all of the very good information !  I didn't realize that these models were made so they could be motorized.  So a certain amount of trim had to be built into the model.  That is pretty good !  You did a great job with installing the ballast and that sure sounds like a good choice of material.  I am totally fascinated by seeing your model in the water !!   :)  My best to Mrs. Pete, and to Jim, the overseer, who knew all was well in hand.  June   :)

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:07 AM »
Great seeing the progress on your model, Pete!
Can't wait to see the finished product!
Keep up the great work!  :)
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:10 AM »
Good work! I like the model testing tank!  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline pete cain

« Reply #42 on: Mar 29, 2016, 04:22 PM »
As always thanks to Alistair who started this topic,
   Seeing as how we are into Summer time & this is a Winter project , I'm packing the model away till October(ish), so thought I'd post a few piccys . (I'll have to do about 3 posts on this , my old computer cannot cope)
   Fore & Aft general views, with superstructure now in position.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #43 on: Mar 29, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Close up of foredeck area, a hint of rigging on loading cranes, flagpole , transfers etc will be fit last along with paint touch ups.
 bit of a blurry rear view of QE2's beautiful tiering, these decks are supported (on the real thing) with round colums, I need to source something near to scale & fit them in due course.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #44 on: Mar 29, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Photo etch kit (£1.00 coin for scale) for handrails along Prom deck & around davit areas, & elsewhere depending on what's left.
  This stuff is so delicate, a whole new skill to be learned here , bit glad I won't be  starting this next week  (kick the  can down the road a bit). Found this to be a whole new QE2 to me, in this 70's incarnation  she seems so colourful, not the greys & whites I witnessed on board .One mistake I'm aware that I've made is, painting the' bit under the bridge ' with wood effect, should be green, however bad eyesight & shaky hands dictate that this is how it's going to stay, I can live with that.

QE2 Punch Out Model Book 1969 (Part One)

Started by Cunarder ManBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 11
Views: 1967
Last post Jul 27, 2020, 12:38 AM
by Jeff Mahler
Finished with Engines

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 14
Views: 7950
Last post Apr 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
by Cruise_Princess
Virtual QE2 Model

Started by Bob C.Board QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 204
Views: 40249
Last post Jun 27, 2024, 09:27 AM
by Lynda Bradford
1/192 scratchbuilt model, work in progress!

Started by matdarkBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 27
Views: 8699
Last post Jan 29, 2016, 09:04 AM
by Lachlan
QE2 scalex model

Started by ConorBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 3
Views: 948
Last post Oct 04, 2023, 12:36 PM
by Chris Thompson