Author Topic: Non British Captains  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Imonlygoingforone

Re: Non British Captains
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Correct me if lm wrong but, Cunard used to mention, and promote  in their brochures, and recent ones at that about the British Officers.
Now l for one always had Cunard as one step away from the rest of the cruise companies. Now with the dumbing down of the dress codes, the lack of afternoon tea on embarkation Im really glad l sailed with Cunard when l did. I doubt very much if l would care for the product of the present day.
 I believe its a thing called progress or is it change, Something the old fogies from the Glory days dont like ;) 

I think it's a case of hyping up their product.... Depending on what you determine an 'Officer' as, then the ratio changes dramatically.

Within the Merchant Navy, Officers are only truly those with a certificate of competency as issued by a Governing Body - ie. MCA for the UK, USCG etc. That means only Deck & Engine Officers can 'correctly' hold the rank of officer, however I've seen this argument go wild so to speak, so I'll leave it at that!

In the Deck Department on QE2 & QM2 , I have sailed with Indian, South African, Canadian, American, Norwegian, Irish, French and Bulgarian. In the Engine Room I have sailed with those Nationalities plus there have been Junior Filipino Engineer Officers since the early 00's. All have been very good at their jobs with the exception of one or two as found in any industry.

If you count the Hotel Department as Officers, then you would be lucky to get 25% as Brits, just how it goes I'm afraid.

It is just a marketing thing, as 99% of cruisers wouldn't know or care who is in the uniform - just a fact of life. This proved by the fact that in the 10 years I was with the company, all of these nationalities were on the Bridge (and on the same ship as yourself!) , but hardly anyone noticed until now!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Thank you for these statistics, which make interesting reading. In this era of globalisation, I would be inclined to think that something must be wrong with a ship if its management did not have a reasonable mix of nationalities -- and you confirm that QE2, certainly in her latter years, had just that.

... in the 10 years I was with the company, all of these nationalities were on the Bridge (and on the same ship as yourself!) , but hardly anyone noticed until now!

Not so  ;D  ! I always responded with delight to the Irish voices over the loudspeaker... And whatever anyone might say, Nick Bates did have a lovely Irish voice -- presumably still has. He was not the only one though. There was a Third Officer making noontime announcements, a few years back, who also had a great Irish voice, a bit further south than Nick Bates's -- but that was on a different cruise.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2010, 03:34 PM »
I think it's a case of hyping up their product....

Cunard/Carnival wouldn't do that, would they? ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Just for clarity, when was the last date that QE2 was actually "owned" by a British company?  Carnival must tread a fine line here.  If they water down the "British" experience too much, as many would debate has already occurred, they will destroy all uniqueness to this line that they own, in my opinion.

QE2 was last owned by a British company back in 1993 when Hong Kong Land (mainly a Hong Kong Chinese concern) took over the majority shareholding of Trafalgar House. So the Chinese had a stake in her at this time. Then she went into Norwegian ownership (Kvaerner) and then American (Carnival). So she wasn't British owned for the last 15 years of her life.

And Cunard Britishness is tenuous. Samuel Cunard was Canadian from American And German descent. But please do not jump down my throat for pointing this out and using examples of what Cunard might claim as I don't start the claims in the first place.

Offline Chris

« Reply #19 on: Jul 09, 2010, 01:54 AM »
And Cunard Britishness is tenuous. Samuel Cunard was Canadian from American And German descent. But please do not jump down my throat for pointing this out and using examples of what Cunard might claim as I don't start the claims in the first place.

So very true and well pointed out Michael!
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2010, 09:08 AM »
But please do not jump down my throat for pointing this out and using examples of what Cunard might claim as I don't start the claims in the first place.
Dont worry, l wouldn't dream of it. Anyway Iv just taken off my rose coloured glasses and binned them ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2010, 07:16 AM »
I have no worries with non-British captain, but do not forget there are many born in Britain whose parents are of foreign origin. As there are many in New Zealand of British descent. The proof is in the person's competence, not in race, sex, ethniticy etc, but I would hope that there was an English speaker (and speakers of other languages) to help passengers in an emergency.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #22 on: Aug 16, 2010, 08:14 AM »
I have no worries with non-British captain, but do not forget there are many born in Britain whose parents are of foreign origin. As there are many in New Zealand of British descent. The proof is in the person's competence, not in race, sex, ethniticy etc, but I would hope that there was an English speaker (and speakers of other languages) to help passengers in an emergency.

"Me too", Mauritainia1907!
Hopefully the world will have no worries either if Cunard ever chose to appoint a woman to the post of Captain!

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:52 PM »
On my recent voyage on Queen Mary 2 to Norway and back.... Othello Ghoshroy was the Deputy Captain for the first half of the voyage.....he was filling in for Capt. Bates at a couple of functions while the capt. was on the bridge staring into the frequent FOG.  Deputy Captain Ghoshroy was excellent and well spoken and very enjoyable to listen to.
On the second half of the voyage it was Deputy Captain Robert Camby, also very capable....and yes, they are no longer called Staff Captain... it is Deputy Captain...

Linda C