Author Topic: QE2 and SS United States  (Read 12931 times)

Offline peter ward

Re: QE2 and SS United States
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:10 PM »
I remember going down the river past so many 'retired' naval warships ,a veritable naval cemetary ...when I spotted the aircraft carrier USS ENTERPRISE ! unfortunately it didn't have NCC 1710 -D  underneath its name !!
peter

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:45 PM »
There was a huge mothball fleet just up the James River (tributary to the Elizabeth River) until the early '00's when they were all moved, sold, scrapped.  USS Enterprise is still around but not for long. She'll be decommissioned in 2013.

Pat Curry

« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:02 PM »
USS Enterprise is still around but not for long.

Hi Bob.  Do you know how / where to get / buy detailed deck plans of USS Enterprise or any CVAs?

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Good question.  I never really had any exposure to that sort of thing but since Enterprise is still in service I am thinking information on her is limited.  As for the others, you could contact the Naval Historical Center and at least get a start there.  http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/cvcvn.htm

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Here's the picture as promised , we are just turning to starboard and about to dock in Norfolk Virginia in january 1976

Hi Peter
Thanks so much for posting this.
It's pretty rare to see some of QE2's foredeck from the level that you took the picture.
I love it!
Rosie

Pat Curry

« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Good question.  I never really had any exposure to that sort of thing but since Enterprise is still in service I am thinking information on her is limited.  As for the others, you could contact the Naval Historical Center and at least get a start there.  http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/cvcvn.htm

Thanks Bob.  I will give it a shot.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:19 AM »
I saw this photo posted on Facebook by the SS United States Conservancy.  I just noticed it was posted above in reply #3 but this version has the date on the bottom.  I had a suspicion I knew when it was taken but the date confirms it.  This was the last day of my first voyage on QE2 as we pulled into Southampton.  You can see my photos of SSUS as we departed New York on 14 August 1969 and arrived in Southampton on 20 August 1969 in reply #1 above. 

QE2 spans a lot of years and a lot of history and certainly deserves to be preserved in London!

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2023, 08:21 PM »
Here is link to the above photo Rob

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/235392/title/qe226amp-3b-united-states/cat/520

Anyone have an updated link to this photo?  Ships Nostalgia has reorganized their photos and it's no longer at the above link.  I am currently going through each of the 1704 pages of passenger ships to find it.  It's not the best way but the site's search feature does not really make for a more efficient method.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2023, 10:30 AM »

Anyone have an updated link to this photo?  Ships Nostalgia has reorganized their photos and it's no longer at the above link.  I am currently going through each of the 1704 pages of passenger ships to find it.  It's not the best way but the site's search feature does not really make for a more efficient method.

Can you describe it a bit?  I tried doing a Google Site Search on that website, but didn't find a photo with the 2 ships together.

There's a nice photo in Reply #3 on this topic.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2023, 10:33 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2023, 01:54 AM »
That's the photo, Rob.  There is a version with just the two ships and another one with the same shot but annotated on the bottom as follows:

"SS United States & RMS Queen Elizabeth 2
Arriving in Southampton, August 20, 1969
Photo by J.K. Byass, Courtesy & Copyright @ Barney Byass"

I'm looking for the annotated version.  I had a copy but lost it in the transition to my new computer. I have a copy now but it contains the QE2 Story watermark.  I was looking to see if the Ships Nostalgia site still had a copy without the watermark.

I'm on page 180 of 1704 pages of passenger ship photos and have not yet found it.  It has been a great tour of some really historic and interesting ships though!  Modern day cruise ships have nothing on the old school ones!

Offline Bob C.