Author Topic: Is Morse Code still used?  (Read 14338 times)

Cruise_Princess

Is Morse Code still used?
« on: Apr 15, 2010, 11:40 AM »
Just when writing the previous topic I wondered if Morse code is in fact still used aboard ship...or is it still taught at nautical college??  Just imagine if all the computers on board went down...can the ship still be steered without them?? Can the engines still function?  At least if Morse code was used they could still send out an SOS?

Offline skilly56

Re: Is Morse Code still used?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Yep,

It's still used. Every time my cell phone receives a text message it signals me in morse code. LOL. (But it's true!)

In reality, I think about the only place morse code might still be used is for the aviation non-directional beacons (NDB's). Most ships have had the old transmission/receiver gear that used to occupy the radio rooms ripped out - these days all the office space on board is needed for admin, filing systems, printouts, logs, records etc. The young officers coming through the system these days do not even learn Morse code. As long as they have a GMDSS ticket and a satellite communications system and a VHF radio or two on board, that seems to about all that is needed.

Cheers
Skilly

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010, 09:18 AM by skilly56 »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Thanks Skilly!!

Wouldnt be surprised if some of the Mickey Mouse lines out there recreate Morse Code classes on board so that in April 2012 they can all do a TITANIC SOS!  ( and yes forgot to say  PAY FOR IT!!)  think of the onboard Revenue Mr Arison!

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2010, 12:38 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Yep,

It's still used. Every time my cell phone receives a text message it signals me in morse code. LOL. (But it's true!)

In reality, I think about the only place morse code might still be used is for the aviation non-directional beacons (NBD's). Most ships have had the old transmission/receiver gear that used to occupy the radio rooms ripped out - these days all the office space on board is needed for admin, filing systems, printouts, logs, records etc. The young officers coming through the system these days do not even learn Morse code. As long as they have a GMDSS ticket and a satellite communications system and a VHF radio or two on board, that seems to about all that is needed.

Cheers
Skilly

Hello Skilly,

About morse code - Is 'translating' it still a necessary part of their training for those working in the departments where it was used in the past?

By any chance, does your mobile send the signal QETWO - or GBTT?!
If so, then I'm coming to NZ to learn how to do it!
Please Watch out....

Hope this finds you well!
Rosie

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Do they still or indeed is there any need to  use those lamp things?  as used in the old war films to signal other ships. No idea what they are called .
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Aldis lamps or something like that aren't they?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline skilly56

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Actually, when the Titanic sank I think they were transmitting 'CQD', which was the earlier distress code used before 'SOS was adopted. Somewhere I learnt that 'SOS' was starting to be adopted from about 1905, but the Marconi operator on Titanic insisted on sending the old 'CQD' - possibly meant "Come Quickly Dammit", or even "Come Quickly, Danger". Who knows? It definitely was'nt used because it had an easily sent series of dah-dits.
CQD =   -.-  --.- -..

My cell text message call is SOS in Morse - mainly because my three boys are about the only people who text me, and only when they need help with something.

Cheers

Skilly

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2010, 10:58 AM »
^^^^^

They started transmitting with CQD but then switched to using SOS after a short while.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2010, 06:45 PM »
Come Quick Danger!

Save Our Ship!

M'aidez!

Just wondering how many times anyone from
the Deck Dept on QE2 was in receipt of one or any of these!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2010, 10:52 PM »
l always thought it was Come Quick Distress
 And what about SOS Save our Souls, l never for a minute gave it any thought it could mean Save Our Ship...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Pat Curry

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Enter
CQD Morse code
on Wikipedia for the explanation.

SOS  (dot-dot-dot/dash-dash-dash/dot-dot-dot)  was more rythmic, more easily remembered, more easily understood than CQD.

I learnt Morse Code when I flew in the RAF.  If all else failed in my day, you could click SOS on the defunct radio transmit button and it may have been picked up on the frequency your radio was set to.  All gone now.  The RAF don't teach it any more. 

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2010, 01:23 PM »
A few years ago I heard that morse was now officially an obsolete method of communication. As Skilly says, probably still used in in aviation beacon transmissions though, which is something completely different from two-way (person to person) communication.

Both my parents learnt morse... my Dad was a P.O Telegraphist in the Royal Navy and my Mum was in the Wrens at a signal station.
Despite my Dad's efforts, I never managed to get to grips with morse myself dit dah dit dah dit
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2010, 02:50 PM »
A few years ago I heard that morse was now officially an obsolete method of communication. As Skilly says, probably still used in in aviation beacon transmissions though, which is something completely different from two-way (person to person) communication.

When I went in to the US Navy 29 years ago, morse code was still very much a part of communications.  Now with the high reliability of communication equipment the skill is phasing out.  The US Navy only teaches limited Morse Code only beacuse we stlll have flashing light capabity on our ships.  I don't know about QE2 but USS NIMITZ still has masthead blinkers and a Morse Code key/switch in the Nav shack.  Fewer and fewr folks know how to use it though.

Its sad because just as pencil and paper has yet to fail in the computer age, morse code may be needed as a last resort in an emergency in the face of all the Gucci comm equipment onbaord - that is if someone still remembers how to use it (outside of SOS).

Offline Imonlygoingforone

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2010, 11:36 AM »
The young officers coming through the system these days do not even learn Morse code. As long as they have a GMDSS ticket and a satellite communications system and a VHF radio or two on board, that seems to about all that is needed.

No correct I'm afraid, as for OOW and Chief Mate, the candidate must have a signals certificate to qualify for their Certificate of Competency. This consists of morse, signalling flags and various other bits and bobs. Now whether after the ticket is achieved that stays in your head is another thing...! In a nutshell, all Deck Officers should have knowledge of morse..

Offline skilly56

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2010, 11:53 AM »
Sorry, but young fella here (currently doing mates & masters), says they do NOT have morse code on the syllabus.

Skilly