Author Topic: The QE2 Timeline - maiden calls, final calls  (Read 66003 times)

Offline Sam Warwick

Re: The QE2 Timeline - maiden calls, final calls
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2024, 03:18 AM »
Just one observation. I believe that the maiden call to Alexandria, Egypt, was in April 1976 not 1977. I remember having a run ashore there during the Cradles of Civilization cruise. I know we went to Odesa on the same trip for our maiden call.

You are correct Colin. The maiden call to Alexandria was 07-Apr-1976. The Odessa maiden call was 12-Apr-1976.
See https://qe2abstractlog.com/reports/ports_of_call_by_name for the complete list.

Sam

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2024, 07:11 AM »
Thank you both very much for this correction. Wonderful, Colin, that you can remember these maiden calls personally.

The list will also be corrected.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2024, 09:44 AM »
Thanks to both Colin for the correction and to Sam for verifying the year.  I have changed on the list. 

Excellent to have the response to the newsletter article on the Maiden Call Final Call topic. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Mike White

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2024, 09:10 AM »
I’m a bit late to the party for this one, my apologies. I think I’m correct in saying that on July 28th, 2007 she made a maiden and final call at Ålesund, Norway. I’m not 100% sure about it being a maiden call, but I’m sure I heard it somewhere. I was onboard when she departed and there was a fireboat spraying water, so I guess that indicated it was her final call (I have photos of her call there).

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2024, 12:35 PM »
Thanks for your post Mike.  Not sure how we can find out if July 2007 was QE2's last call to Alesund.  There are a few members who were on QE2 in Norway in 2008, perhaps they can respond if she called there in 2008. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank