Author Topic: BBC Timewatch Final Voyage programme  (Read 34276 times)

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
Re: QE2 on BBC Television UK - 28th February
« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Al I can say is thank you for the superb pictures. It's so sad to see her languishing in Dubai.

Cheers!
Edmund

Offline rjms74

« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Hi Isabelle, yes interesting to hear a lady officer of the watch from the bridge - this happened on my A Colours cruise & the young officer in question coincidentally only lived about 5 miles from where I live and her parents were joining the ship after the one I was on. This was the cruise where Captain Perkins spoke only once at midday & it was a 20 night cruise!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Offline Andy F

« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:07 PM »
For Andrew and anyone else who may have missed the programme when it went out last evening, you can find the programme here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j3hz3/Timewatch_2008_2009_QE2_The_Final_Voyage/

Edit by Moderator on 26 July 2009 : Programme no longer here, just a reference to it

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2009, 09:31 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:41 AM »
Here's an opportunity to comment on the review, the QE2, and the  Timewatch programme - The Times - 2nd March 2009!

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article5817866.ece

NairB

« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:51 AM »
Gosh Everybody....

I had a tear in my eye watching that show. How proud, angry and determined I am now to get her back or do EVEN BETTER and build another world classic!!!

I know Rob doesn't want the forum to become "A get the QE2 Back forum"....but I can't help it. Surely an entire nation outwith this forum MUST feel the same way, especially after that show OR did they watch that silly Ant & Dec show on British ITV instead???

Anyway, WE CAN build another....WE REALLY CAN....if the public want it, we can build another, on the BAE shipyard further up the Clyde. It will give the WORLD another example of the feelings of todays Glasgow's sons, daughters, grandsons and grandaughters (after they learn the River Clyde's history, learning what they would like to see in a new ship).....a ship more beautiful and perfect than what our granparents built ......this replacement can be bigger, better, more streamline and an absolute example of what each and everyone of us with a voice and sheer detemination on this Great Island within Great Britain CAN achieve. The very thought of todays Glasgows young folk contributing to a BRAND NEW beauty, is magic...it's in their blood, so I know it can be achieved. ;)

I don't want to talk politics or money......EDUCATION and the proper upbringing can make it happen parents!!!!

All WE need to do is believe it. Look at how WE built the QE2, union strikes, underbudget, conflict and STILL.....WE delivered the WORLD with the GREATEST liner ever.....ON TIME!!!!!

LETS DO IT AGAIN.....LETS BUILD ANOTHER BEAUTY AND TEACH THE KIDS!!!!!!!

The QE2 was an example of how WE can all achieve something in life...just look at her and what she has done.....lets keep her legacy ALIVE....it CAN be done again regardless what her good old master said.....its the people that decide whether or not it CAN CONTINUE....and those words came from the GRANDSON who's GRANDFATHER that helped build her!!!

-NairB  ;)

(As a nation & nations, we can do anything....just BELIEVE!!!)

ps...One billion pounds and belief can make it happen.....I have ONE of the two....maybe that can be good enough ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009, 06:48 AM by NairB »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:46 PM »

The quotes below are from today's (UK) Guardian online  Media section

'In the 8pm hour on BBC2, a Timewatch documentary called QE2: the Final Voyage about the end of the famous liner averaged 2 million viewers and a 9% share'.

"• To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000.

• If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly "for publication"."

The article's link is http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/02/tv-ratings-colour-of-money
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009, 02:48 PM by twynkle »

hatchndee

« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2009, 10:35 AM »
hi nair.
they say a ships not a living thing well i defie anyone to tell me this.having been at sea and living day in day out there like part of the family.the history the blood sweat and tears that go into these great ladys of the oceans the shipyard personal are and righty so proud men and women. and what a tribute it would be to bring this living breathing majestic lady back to the clyde for a monument for every ship yard worker past and present on the cylde and beyond. :) :) :)

NairB

« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2009, 01:37 PM »
hi nair.
they say a ships not a living thing well i defie anyone to tell me this.having been at sea and living day in day out there like part of the family.the history the blood sweat and tears that go into these great ladys of the oceans the shipyard personal are and righty so proud men and women. and what a tribute it would be to bring this living breathing majestic lady back to the clyde for a monument for every ship yard worker past and present on the cylde and beyond. :) :) :)

Hi hatch,

Well said, well said my friend. ;D

KEV

Re: QE2 on BBC Television UK - 28th February-Timewatch
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2009, 10:34 PM »
I watched it and really enjoyed it- I think it covered everything across the years quite well and it was nice to hear people's recollections amongst passengers and crew .And what a poignant moment when Capt McNaught signed the book. Don't know if it was just the editing as I wasn't lucky enough to be on board for the final voyage but it looked a much more subdued affair (which I can understand) than the partying on board in the Med last summer.  Do those on board feel the documentary gave a true reflection of the mood on the ship?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 on BBC Television UK (Timewatch Final Voyage programme)
« Reply #39 on: Jun 30, 2009, 12:11 AM »
I just watched the Timewatch programme about Concorde tonight.

Its a wonderful programme and its the programme the slightly embarassing QE2 one should have been.

Such a shame.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2009, 12:31 AM »
It was  a nice programme to see, though why they need to have a child giving her point of view is beyond me,Makes you wonder where on earth they find these people. Half expected to see the famous shot of the Concorde & QE2. I bet the stewardess have a few tales to tell

Not that Concorde ever took my fancy, But friends on my first QE2 tip in 86, flew back with the view it was over all to quickly and that they wished they had stayed onboard and sailed back. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris

« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2009, 05:05 AM »
Thanks Rob for the excellent screen grabs.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Tom Kirrage

QE2 - The Final Voyage, by BBC TimeWatch
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Morning Everyone.

It has been a while since I posted a message to the site. I have been occupied with other things since I left school.
I have the biggest request to ask those people who might be able to help me.

Many of you may remember the programme that was viewed on BBC One and BBC Two about five years ago, which was called "QE2 - THE FINAL VOYAGE" by BBC TimeWatch.
I only saw a little bit of the program and then I only managed to find it on youtube last summer and was able to watch the whole of it. In September last year, it suddenly wasn't available on youtube any more. During these last few months I have been trying very hard to find the right people to talk to about it. I have been on the telephone to BBC and spoken to several people. Some have been helpful, some haven't been helpful.

If anyone has a copy of the programme or if anyone knows certain people, who could help me how I could obtain a copy of the program, it would be greatly appreciated if you let me know. Or if anyone has a copy of it, that they don't want anymore, I would very much like to have it and treasure always.

If any one has any information, please let me know.

All the Best

Tom[/font]

Online Michael Gallagher

Re: BBC Timewatch Final Voyage programme - with screen-grabs
« Reply #43 on: Jun 28, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Tell me about it Rob!

Offline Gill

Timewatch: QE2 - the Final Voyage
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Have just seen the above programme listed in next week's Radio Times.

It is to be shown this coming Sunday (16th March) at 9.00pm (21.00hrs) on BBC4.

A box of tissues at the ready.

Final call to Newcastle

Started by TwynkleBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 26
Views: 7915
Last post May 04, 2017, 11:04 AM
by Clydebuilt1971
My final trip

Started by RodBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 3
Views: 1892
Last post Aug 19, 2011, 07:17 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Final transatlantic menus (and choices)

Started by WaverleyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 32
Views: 2022
Last post Sep 09, 2021, 03:37 PM
by June Ingram
MY STAR CLIPPER SAILING SHIP VOYAGE

Started by George C GriffithsBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 9
Views: 2782
Last post Dec 31, 2020, 06:43 PM
by Rob Lightbody
QE2 Cunard Press Visit Programme 19 Sept 1968

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia