Author Topic: Captains Inspection  (Read 12765 times)

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
Re: Captains Inspection
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Yes, where was the 'Legion'? I'm guessing it might have been a name given to the crew bar on 6-deck aft though I'm sure it used to be called something else.
It wouldn't be the P.O's club would it?
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Pat Curry

« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:10 PM »
No it wasn't the PO's club.  More than one captain thought it was, much to the legion members 'mirth.  No captain was ever invited to imbibe there!!!

The Petty Officer's Bar became the Fo'c's'le Club the location of which was forward on 2 deck.
Look at a deck 2 plan eg
http://www.chriscunard.com/qe2_deckplans.php
2 deck.  See Cabins 2004 & 2002.  Between them there is a steel door there.  It says 'no admission' . But if you did go through it you were immediately in the Fo'c's'le Club.  It was noisy between about 9pm and closing time 1am,
So 2004 and 2002 were used by crew (musicians if I recall).
On the Club side of the door it said 'Do not use this pass door.  If you do you will be reported to the Captain.' or something like that. 
So where is the Legion?????

Pat Curry

« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Oh I know where the Legion is, I used to frequent it quite regularly! In fact I remember having a drink or 2 with you Pat down there! I wonder if the clock got taken home - I hope so!

Cheers

Got it now Ash!  I was a bit slow off the mark.  Will post a photo of you at the Legion shortly

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:01 AM »
So where was the Legion then? I noticed there was a dart board in wherever it was in the Whicker's World 'A Fast Boat To China' programme.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:49 AM »
A silly question (I HAD to ask it) What happened to someone sacked 'on the spot'. (were they instantly thrown off the stern) Or were they thrown off at the next port, having to make their own way home as best they could - paying their own fare. I do know there is a caveat in most cruise brochures that if a passenger misbehaved so badly, they could be put off the ship at the next port of call, there to pay their own way home, with no refund of cruise fare. That did happen to some young men who were always drunk on Fairstar. They were offloaded at a port and had to get home by themselves. Fairstar's ship's police were headed by an ex Sydney police officer who had retired. Apparantly he took no prisoners. This was when Fairstar was owned by Sitmar.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Rich,
The Legion used to hide as far forward as you can get (actually, I just got told by B. Hone that some of the silly old F---s are probably still in there!

Cheers
Skilly

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Thanks Skilly. If it was as far fwd as you could get it sounds as though it might have been run for or by the Deckies.
I never visited that area but I think the Deckies used to have all their ropes/hawsers etc there. The furthest fwd I ever went inside the ship was prob the bow thruster comp't.

Really wish it was possible to revisit the ship to re-acquaint myself with it  :(

Offline skilly56

« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2010, 05:27 AM »
Hi Rich,

Not quite that far forward! It was on 2 Deck immediately aft of the mooring deck on the port side. Directly below the crew office. The young fella presently cooking my steak on the barbeque used to drink in there occasionally. Evidently the Legion was the place to be after the ship hit Dubai in '08!
I bet you went to the bow thruster room to get your connections onto the bulk beer storage tank up there.

Cheers
Skilly

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:38 PM »
Aha... so that's were the Legion was. I never ever knew anything about it! You know... I'm learning more about the ship now than when I was on there  ;D

If I could have one wish, it would be for QE2 to return to the UK and for it to be open to the public for viewing (all of it, not just the public rooms).

I think that joining this forum has re-kindled my interest in the ship and I do miss being at sea. It's difficult to put that feeling into words but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Regards,

Offline skilly56

« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2010, 06:28 AM »
Ash,
Is that Ash A, the SO?

Offline MacTaf

« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:36 PM »
I do recall the working alleyway being referred to as "Boogie St" on one ocassion..But not sure that was part of the Ship's Lingua Franca? However I would be interested to know if the "Dhobi Arms" survived the various refits, as the name inplies it was almost opposite or adjacent the old ship's laundry.A great place for a livener.. The Laundry in the heady days of 78 was manned  by Singaporean Chinese Guys..

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:25 PM »
The Dhobi Arms was certainly still in existence up until the 1986/87 refit in Bremerhaven. A favourite haunt of scousers in particular I believe?
I  think the guys in the chinese laundry were probably the same ones that were onboard during your time on the ship MacTaf.

Offline MacTaf

Re: Captains Inspection & dismissal
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:37 PM »
With regard to anybody dismissed on the spot, it would have been after an on-board enquiry subject to the NMB's (National Maritime Board's) Code of conduct. Dependent on the outcome & severity of sanction. It would have  been pretty serious to be dismissed & immediately removed from the vessel.Cunard as a responsible Shipowner would no doubt have assumed initial  responsibility for repatriation. However clawback would have been dependent on whether the crew member was employed directly by Cunard or a concessionaire company. If the crew member was employed by Cunard & registered with the Merchant Navy Establishment that would most certainly not been the end of the matter. A local disciplinary hearing where the Seafarer was registered with the Merchant Navy Establishment " Pool" would also have been convened. Which had various powers & sanctions including removal from the Pool.  Suspension of Pool benefits or in the more severe cases a recommendation to HM  Secretary of State for the removal of all seafaring credentials   

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:30 PM »

If I could have one wish, it would be for QE2 to return to the UK and for it to be open to the public for viewing (all of it, not just the public rooms).

I agree that is would be fantastic to see all of the ship and to hear stories and memories of both passengers and crew.  I hope your wish comes true.  
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:12 AM »
A silly question (I HAD to ask it) What happened to someone sacked 'on the spot'. (were they instantly thrown off the stern) Or were they thrown off at the next port, having to make their own way home as best they could - paying their own fare.

The rule was that if you were dismissed, you were given your flights home, but if you resigned, you had to pay for your fare.  Events that tended to result in dismissal were things like assaulting another crew member, being over the alcohol limit etc.
2000-2007

Captains Cabin

Started by jdlBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 9
Views: 8690
Last post Mar 11, 2010, 06:54 PM
by 534
List of QE2 Masters/Captains

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 15734
Last post Jul 30, 2013, 09:12 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Poll January 2018 Photo Competition: Masters of QE2: Captains or First Officers

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 17
Views: 4663
Last post Dec 29, 2018, 03:30 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 Captains' wives

Started by Pat CurryBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 2537
Last post Dec 01, 2012, 09:57 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Captains' Retirement Age

Started by June IngramBoard Cunard