Author Topic: Hello! to the Forum  (Read 3009 times)

coasterman

Hello! to the Forum
« on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Hello,

I have just joined, and look forward to learning more about the QE2. My general interest is in modern shipping, and I have previously published 'Building on the Sea' and 'Port Architecture' with the National Maritime Museum, and more recently 'Cruise' (with Bruce Peter). I lecture aboard cruise shiops on maritime topics, and sailed on part of QE2's final World Cruise and last voyage to Dubai. I am a Research Associate of the NMM, and an Associate of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects.

One of the lectures I give onboard is the story of James Gardner's contribution to her design. I should have met Gardner, but sadly he died just before I was due to meet him in London. I did, though, work in his studio for a week, with full accesss to all his papers (which are now in The Design Archive at the UNiversity of Brighton).

I am keen to keep my QE2 lecture up to date, and would welcome latest news on what may be happening to the QE2. I fly to Dubai at the end of January to join the QM2's World Cruise leg from there to Hong Kong.

Incidentally, a passenger on a recent cruise (who used to work for Thorneycroft's) told me that when QE2 was new they had to refit the bulbous bow because it was built crooked by John Brown's, and prevented the ship sailing in a straight line...

Best wishes to all,

Peter Quartermaine

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Hello! to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Welcome, Peter!

We are glad to have you here on (the) board. I can see quite a number of subjects which will be of interest to you, and already have eager eyes to see your contributions!

We have been discussing QE2's bulbous bow here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=3194.0

and you will find many threads about QE2 in Dubai here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html

We would also be happy to hear your views on that... final... voyage... to Dubai. Several of our members were on board, and the rest of us still wonder, now and again, whether we should have been...

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,73.0.html

No need to rush though, take your time to read and write -- I am sure this Forum will be here for a long time yet!

Welcome!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 07:45 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:26 PM »

Incidentally, a passenger on a recent cruise (who used to work for Thorneycroft's) told me that when QE2 was new they had to refit the bulbous bow because it was built crooked by John Brown's, and prevented the ship sailing in a straight line...

Would you describe her as having a "bulbous bow" in the modern sense of the phrase??

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum!!  Its great to have another knowledgable person on board.

As someone from the Clyde with a father that works on Browns I get understandably indignant when I hear this!  I've never once heard this reported anywhere in all my years of QE2 obsession.  Interested to know if anyone can corroberate this, otherwise i'm going to put it down to a bit of friendly rivalry banter between rival shipyards!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2010, 03:38 PM »

Welcome Peter hope to hear more from your stories.

Louis

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Hello Peter,

Welcome!
It's good that you have joined us - hopefully you will enjoy reading much that will surely be of interest!

You mention joining RMS Queen Mary 2 in Dubai, maybe you will manage to see QE2 alongside as well.
She's now moored further along the quayside than 2008 when you disembarked -
and anything of your experience that you might choose to post here will be welcome!

You will find many here who also have professional involvement in the maritime world and, as Isabelle says above - between us, with our enthusiasm for QE2 and her world,
we are making The QE2 Story truly reflect it's purpose - 'we'll be here a long time yet'! 

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 05:30 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:57 AM »
Welcome aboard Peter - great to have you here.

All the best!
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum!!  Its great to have another knowledgable person on board.

As someone from the Clyde with a father that works on Browns I get understandably indignant when I hear this!  I've never once heard this reported anywhere in all my years of QE2 obsession.  Interested to know if anyone can corroberate this, otherwise i'm going to put it down to a bit of friendly rivalry banter between rival shipyards!

Perhaps they are referring to the fact that the bulbous bow section was replaced during sometime during her service life, while Captain Warwick was at command, due to damage incurred.  He spoke about it and had a few slides in his onboard lexture. 
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Forum Members Zoom Chat - May 14th 2020

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 5
Views: 705
Last post May 15, 2020, 09:22 AM
by Twynkle
Forum members links to QE2 photos from around the web

Started by Andy FBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 260
Views: 114841
Last post Jun 25, 2022, 11:45 AM
by Lynda Bradford
The forum's bridgecam library

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 18
Views: 3921
Last post Feb 10, 2023, 11:04 PM
by Chris Thompson
Happy to have been accepted in this forum!

Started by Lester DedmanBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 1827
Last post Oct 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Books or video / DVD that mention The QE2 Story Forum.

Started by ChrisBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1472
Last post Jul 22, 2019, 08:11 PM
by Rob Lightbody