Author Topic: Liverpool Cathedral Commemorative Concert: 3 October 2008  (Read 17449 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Liverpool Cathedral Commemorative Concert: 3 October 2008
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Beautiful images of our QE2 ! And the Widor Toccata - an appropriately majestic composition for a Majestic Lady !

Amazing organ music that added to the occasion.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:07 PM »
  I thought the paying off pennant being brought in to In Paradisum would be the killer moment and it turned out to be... when I turned round to see the audience reaction there wasn't a dry eye to be seen on the immediate rows behind me... 

Simply a brilliant master stroke of Genius  Looking back it was quite surreal we were all there to say in effect GoodBye to QE2 , most (if not all ) were passengers who were mid-way through the cruise. and already had high emotions  In the Catherdral when the Pennant  was bought down the knave no one had any idea what was coming, other than the very quiet noise from behind us, and when you did look to the isle  , for me anyway , there was the heart stopping moment l thought OMFG  its a coffin , Andew Nelder was the epitome of a look of a Funeral director.  Then l realise its not a coffin there was a brief sigh of relief and then back to the fact that your saying goodbye  For that moment in time your emotions were simply scattered to the four winds  The music was just the perfect ending for what was simply a beautiful Funeral service. 
If its any help Michael your name was discussed in glowing terms on deck that night , but you were a bit of a bastard for putting us through such hellish emotion. You were forgiven very quickly let me add .         
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:30 AM »
Thank you Myles LOL

The overall aim of each concert was to make even a glass eye cry and destroy people in terms of emotion. Each was designed to take people on a reollercoaster - start off all fluffy and nice and then BOOM hit them with despair before slapping them and bringing them back with rousing traditional Last Night of the Proms stuff and have them leaving on a real high.

Works all the time - even to those who put it together, went through the rehearsals and knew what to expect!

Offline southfielddane

« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:51 AM »
At Liverpool Cathedral on 3 October 2008 on the QE2`s final British Isles cruise Simon Weston spoke about the QE2 and the Falklands Campaign. At the end of the speech the west doors of the Cathedral were opened and the band of the Welsh Guards entered the Cathedral. Another emotional moment at this event.

Offline southfielddane

« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2021, 12:59 PM »
A very poignant moment in the concert at  Liverpool Cathedral was when the 39 feet long paying off pennant was carried down the centre aisle and passed to John Prescott M.P. who had once been a Cunard employee. The pennant was carefully folded and given to the safekeeping of the Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Steve Rotheram.

Offline southfielddane

« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:10 PM »
At the end of the concert Captain Ian McNaught paid tribute to the QE2 and in particular the part played by Liverpool in the design. To the strains of Auld Lang Syne the Welsh Guards band left the Cathedral to the applause of the invited guests.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:25 PM »
At the end of the concert Captain Ian McNaught paid tribute to the QE2 and in particular the part played by Liverpool in the design. To the strains of Auld Lang Syne the Welsh Guards band left the Cathedral to the applause of the invited guests.

Wow
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Wow 

Imagine if they had marched out with God Save The Queen at the very end

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Out of interest do we know how many were in the Cathedral that day ?

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:06 PM »
for the 2008 one we produced 2,262 tickets which was more than the 2,000 we wanted to accommodate as that would have been more comfortable for the Cathedral. But we could have gone to 2,262. We knew everyone from the ship would not go (and know for a fact that many did not bother in 2007 and 2008) but we did not keep a tally of those who actually turned up. Everyone was assigned to a block and those blocks were filled from the front to the back and we had time built in to move people forward if a certain block didn't fill so only the very back rows would remain empty.

In 2007 we produced 2,240 tickets.

In 2011 we produced 2,117 tickets.

In 2015 we produced 2,000 tickets for each of the two concerts that day.

Thanks to (interfering) management the actual ticketing process for all four concerts was different each time so it was difficult to have a system of keeping track of attendees.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:09 PM »
That final piece is called Close of Day and meshes Auld Lang Syne and the Last Post together. Brilliant.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #56 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:16 PM »
Watching that has just brought it all back. Will have to get my DVDs out tonight and watch those concerts again!

And to think the Lord Mayor than left the pennant behind under his seat when he left. We found it when clearing up. Today it resides at the Maritime Museum in the Albert Dock.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:47 PM »
I think Simon Weston was onboard QE2 on our first trip in August 2003, 11th to 17th August Westbound, and I remember we saw him at JFK when we were all about to fly back home. As a 6 year old I had no idea of his suffering, and as young children usually do I stared at him out of curiosity which I regret now. He is a very brave person and his recovery given the circumstances is remarkable.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #58 on: Mar 09, 2021, 10:54 PM »
The use of music and pageantry to create the desired effect was certainly achieved !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Liverpool 2000

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The 2000s

Replies: 2
Views: 1801
Last post Feb 16, 2015, 05:45 PM
by June Ingram
Three Queens in Liverpool

Started by shipnshoreBoard Cunard

Replies: 4
Views: 1837
Last post Sep 07, 2015, 10:18 PM
by Cunarder Man
ROLL CALL : QM2 Historic Crossing, Southampton & Liverpool to Halifax & Boston

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 2954
Last post Jul 02, 2015, 09:45 AM
by safarigal
Liverpool to Reykjavik aboard Queen Mary 2.

Started by shipnshoreBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 3
Views: 907
Last post Jul 14, 2020, 09:58 AM
by shipnshore
Queen Victoria Liverpool 2010

Started by RMS LozzyBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 2
Views: 1788
Last post Mar 05, 2011, 04:27 PM
by Janice Naylor