Author Topic: QE2 used for Film and TV Work  (Read 76657 times)

Offline Tyne Turbine

QE2 at Liverpool on Arena.
« Reply #75 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:03 PM »
A short appearance by QE2 berthed at Liverpool on the repeat of an old Arena programme on Ken Dodd showing on BBC2 tonight.

Online cunardqueen

Re: QE2 at Liverpool on Arena.
« Reply #76 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Didnt Ken Dodd entertain the passengers onboard QE2 at one stage, Was it in Liverpool?
 I once saw him live, he over ran by near an hour. A most marvelous guy and no smut, l gather compared to some over runs we were let of lightly ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 at Liverpool on Arena.
« Reply #77 on: Feb 27, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Well, somewhat off topic, he certainly entertained me at Liverpool Lime Street station in 2009  ;D  :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3668057637/

I had just disembarked from Black Prince...

Offline riskygizmo

Re: QE2 used for Film and TV Work
« Reply #78 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:22 PM »
I recall a short film being shown on TV in the late 70's or early 80's of what was involved in a 12 hour turnaround in New York
(though it might have been Southampton). From what I recall, Bob Arnott was Captain, and Bob Venning and Lynn(?) the
Captain's Writer were two faces I remember from it.

I think it was just used as a filler (10-15 mins) by the BBC and therefor not preserved since I cant find any trace of it online, but
if anyone can find it s/he lives on this forum.
Full Away on Passage.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #79 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:59 PM »
I recall a short film being shown on TV in the late 70's or early 80's of what was involved in a 12 hour turnaround in New York
(though it might have been Southampton). From what I recall, Bob Arnott was Captain, and Bob Venning and Lynn(?) the
Captain's Writer were two faces I remember from it.

I think it was just used as a filler (10-15 mins) by the BBC and therefor not preserved since I cant find any trace of it online, but
if anyone can find it s/he lives on this forum.

They showed it on board QE2 in 2008 - i remember watching it just before dozing off into one of the very best sleeps of my entire life.  I bet "Flagship" can assist...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #80 on: Mar 09, 2011, 08:10 PM »
With hindsight if ony we could have been able to purchase copies of the programmes relating to QE2 that were shown on the incabin tv, somehow there was never enough time to see them in full length, and if the tv was on then l would never have got to sleep, heck l just loved watching the view from the bow..

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #81 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:26 PM »
CunardQueen - all you had to do was ask Warren the Cruise Director and he would have done you a copy of whatever quite happily! Thats how I got a lot of mine!

As for the 1970s / 1980s documentary - could it be the National Geographic one 'Twilight of an Era. The Last of the Great Superliners'? I have it on video.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #82 on: Apr 15, 2011, 11:39 PM »

Pat Curry

« Reply #83 on: Apr 16, 2011, 08:35 AM »
if the tv was on then l would never have got to sleep, heck l just loved watching the view from the bow..
Not much of a view from the bow at night, but Myles, if that's what you enjoyed watching instead of sleep!!!  :o
Seriously though, yes it was great stuff, QE2 TV, esp the bow camera. 

Talking of Warren, Michael, does anyone have memories of the the hour long QE2 TV show filmed daily on board by Casey, the cameraman (video person) whose guffaws punctuated the awful jokes from the presenters, Martyn Moss CD and Warren (asst CD)  a few years back?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #84 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Martyn Moss CD   
It seems he is now cruise director for Grand Princess, and is doing a daily video report on her refit, including the removal of the shopping trolly handle..very interesting..

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #85 on: Jun 12, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Grumpy Old Holidays, bbc 2 last night.

20 mins in, while the "slebs" complain about how ghastly cruising hols are, the archive footage they use is of an early (and very busy) QE2. You can catch it again on BBC i Player.
Full Away on Passage.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #86 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:12 PM »
BBC are showing the Keeping up Appearances episode of Hyacinth and Richard onboard the QE2, on 24 December 2011 at 12.30pm.  

If you have not seen this you should record it if you do not have time to watch during the day.  Really funny and some good shots of QE2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007c3zx

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #87 on: Dec 24, 2011, 02:40 PM »
Thank you, Lynda! Pia and I watched it, with rather grainy, at times almost black-and-white reception, but well worth seeing (once...).

Had reception been better, I might have had a chance to ooh and aah even more over the older incarnation of the QE2 interiors, which I recognised from our Forum photos.

So touching to see QE2 in action again, a living and moving ship!

I suppose the crew roles were mostly played by the QE2 crew?

According to the BBC web site, this episode was first shown on 6 August 1999 -- when was it filmed?
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2011, 02:43 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pat Curry

« Reply #88 on: Dec 24, 2011, 05:34 PM »

According to the BBC web site, this episode was first shown on 6 August 1999 -- when was it filmed?

Does it really say that?  The demise of the BBC is really becoming increasingly obvious.  It's run by kids who don't know anything. They want to sell (for demolition) the iconic BBC-TV Centre, which of course is perfectly fit for purpose, because Labour made the BBC move (much stuff) to Salford. Add it to the list ...  HMS Britannia, Concorde, Ark Royal, QE2,  Oh dear I feel another rant coming on  >:( :-X

Re Keeping up Appearances, the last episode was filmed in mid in 1995.  The QE2 episode was made for screening at  Christmas 1993 as a 60 minute Special  (Episode 32 of 45). The plot is hilarious, but really is excruciating.  But what fun to watch and how amazing to have been on board at the time.   Yes crew and pax were mostly genuine.  John Duffy features in it.  

Flagship do you have the facts?
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2011, 05:40 PM by Queet-two »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #89 on: Dec 24, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Thank you, Lynda! Pia and I watched it, with rather grainy, at times almost black-and-white reception, but well worth seeing (once...).

Had reception been better, I might have had a chance to ooh and aah even more over the older incarnation of the QE2 interiors, which I recognised from our Forum photos.

So touching to see QE2 in action again, a living and moving ship!

First officer mcnaught spotted on the bridge! It was filmed much earlier than 99, around 90 I think.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.