Author Topic: QE2 used for Film and TV Work  (Read 76147 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: BBC4 Touring Britain-The Victorian Way -QE2/Cunard Liverpool HQ
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2009, 12:31 AM »

This sounds great - Thank you!

Offline hollihedge

Re: BBC4 Touring Britain-The Victorian Way -QE2/Cunard Liverpool HQ
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Thanks Kev - will watch!
Gill

KEV

QE2 used for Film and TV Work
« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2009, 12:24 AM »
QE2 has been used over the years for this purpose quite a few times

We should perhaps compile the most comprehensive listing possible on this forum

Which ones do you remember? Were you on board during filming?

Keeping up appearances Christmas Special was a classic playing on the QE2 TV channel whilst I was on board-still makes me laugh thinking of Hyacinth demanding to be put through to the Captain!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2009, 12:35 AM »
I found it fascinating to watch Keeping up Appearances while actually in cabin 3093.  They appeared to have a very good mock-up of a QE2 cabin, in a studio.  It was very good in many respects, but not quite right.  It was easy to compare while sitting in an actual cabin!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:04 AM »
The 1998 remake of the Disney movie "Parent Trap" nicely wove in QE2 into the story.  Just watched it with my kids the other night while on vacation in Florida and it brought tears to my eyes to see her in the movies...... QE2 and not Linsay Lohan, the star of the movie.  As far as a kids movie, i actually enjoyed it.  Sadly, the movie also starred Natasha Richardson, who recently died after a freak ski accident.  There is a few photos of a cabin with 2 portholes and the credits list QE2 and Cunard.

KenM
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Avariel

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2009, 08:19 AM »
There's an Australian made-for-TV movie called Attack on the Queen, or Counterstrike, depending on where the movie is being shown.

It sort of takes place on the QE2. But I am lead to believe that most of the scenes were filmed in a studio and not on the actual ship. I shall post some screenshots soon.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2009, 09:59 AM »
I found it fascinating to watch Keeping up Appearances while actually in cabin 3093.

Was it 3093 that Hyacinth was supposed to have? I always thought the mock cabin would have been equal to QG as they would need the space to get the right camera angles.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2009, 11:28 AM »
sorry I should have been clearer - 3093 was a completely typical 2-porthole cabin, of which QE2 appears to have had many hundreds!  It was clear to me that this was the sort that they'd modelled their studio cabin on.  I did think that they probably had to make it more realistic than they'd normally have to because many of the viewers of Keeping Up Appearances would have been on board and be familiar with her cabins!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:22 PM »
A "Coronation Street" episode was filmed on QE2 in 1995, though the ship in the storyline was not QE2, rather just some cruiseship.... :o
Another soap, "Crossroads", filmed an episode aboard in the early 80's, I think 1981?

"Masterchef" in 2006 did a fun episode on board, with breakfast in the Lido and a dinner for the Captain as contests.  It's great to see the QE2 galleys in action.  Here is a clip:

Note: You tube link not active

Plus there are the documentaries in which QE2 is features such as National Geographic's "The Superliners Twilight of an Era",  The History Channel's Modern Marvels "Ocean Liners Titanic to QE2" and the awesome "QE2 The Last Great Liner" by Kingfisher Films Productions"

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2023, 08:58 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Avariel

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Didn't see this mentioned.

There's also the documentary The Great World Cruise of the QE2. Which I have yet to watch because the copy I have is in VHS format and the VHS player in my house died at least 10 years ago. Need to find a way to convert VHS to DVD.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #25 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:56 PM »
The brilliant 1981 miniseries "Brideshead Revisited"  episode 9 "Orphans of the Storm" has fantastic scenes filmed on deck.  Black davits etc. 

There's an Australian made-for-TV movie called Attack on the Queen, or Counterstrike, depending on where the movie is being shown.

It sort of takes place on the QE2. But I am lead to believe that most of the scenes were filmed in a studio and not on the actual ship. I shall post some screenshots soon.
Quite unintentionally funny actually  ;)

The Great World Cruise of the QE2.
  don't worry... very heavy on travelogue, very light on QE2...
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020, 01:37 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Avariel

« Reply #26 on: Apr 12, 2009, 06:01 PM »

I see. I shall have to watch it though. I recall it mentions Singapore and I want to know what they say of the country. Also the VHS was a gift from a very good friend so I thought I'd at least watch it once.

And I can start commenting/critiquing it on its documentary techniques. Practice for my school lessons.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #27 on: Apr 12, 2009, 07:00 PM »
"Masterchef" in 2006

Kyle - do you have the full version of that show? Is there any chance of being able to get a copy of it? :)

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:11 AM »
"Masterchef" in 2006

Kyle - do you have the full version of that show? Is there any chance of being able to get a copy of it? :)

I do, I'll try to copy it...

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #29 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:20 AM »

I see. I shall have to watch it though. I recall it mentions Singapore and I want to know what they say of the country. Also the VHS was a gift from a very good friend so I thought I'd at least watch it once.

And I can start commenting/critiquing it on its documentary techniques. Practice for my school lessons.

On taking another look, is good for a glance at life aboard QE2 in 1979.   
Of course it's very complimentary on each of the ports visited.  Singapore gets three minutes at about 35 minutes into the tape.  Upon a look at the skyline, the commentary describes Singapore as one of the miracles of the 20th century.  Then a quick glance at Raffles, with a mention of course of the Singapore Sling and Bill Baily.  Then a visit to the parks... Singapore as "the garden city" and a visit to Tiger Balm Gardens, and finally back into the Queens Room on QE2 for a Lion Dance and Cultural Show. 
And on to the next port.
This 1979 World Cruise went from New York down the east coast of South America then over to Cape Town and up the western Pacific.  QE2 had a five day call at Hong Kong, then eastbound across the Pacific and a wonderful transit of the Panama Canal.  That alone is worth seeing the tape. 
 :)

BBC film documentary to commemorate 50 Year Anniversary

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 857
Last post Jun 29, 2017, 11:49 AM
by Bob C.
BBC Film 86 on the QE2 - Dudley Moore

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 2
Views: 704
Last post May 04, 2020, 08:29 PM
by cunardqueen
Promo Film -

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 1
Views: 354
Last post Apr 30, 2020, 08:49 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Some "borrowed" film footage from launch to maiden voyage

Started by Stowaway2kBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 7
Views: 4201
Last post Mar 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
by pete cain
ZDF film of QE2 Autumn Colours 2008

Started by TwynkleBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 11
Views: 10794
Last post Oct 25, 2016, 07:35 PM
by pete cain