Author Topic: Commodore Warwick's vision of QE2's future in retirement  (Read 4434 times)

Offline 3QueensGirl

In 2006, Commodore Warwick explained his own vision of QE2's future in retirement, before Cunard announced the sale: http://wp.me/prtfp-ky . I guess it hasn't lost any of its importance or appeal!

Please move this post if you feel it should go into an existing category.

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
Re: Commodore Warwick's vision of QE2's future in retirement
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:28 PM »
Thanks for posting, can't get the clip to work but I'm on a mobile phone version of the Internet so will check it out properly onthd pc tomorrow.

One thing that has got me thinking is where was the picture of commodore warrick taken, too much wood for qm2's bridge and the windows don't look quite right for qe2 - plus I don't remember her having big side bridge windows like the ones in the picture. But it may be the angle that the photie is taken

jdl

Offline 3QueensGirl

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:58 PM »
One thing that has got me thinking is where was the picture of commodore warrick taken, too much wood for qm2's bridge and the windows don't look quite right for qe2 - plus I don't remember her having big side bridge windows like the ones in the picture. But it may be the angle that the photie is taken

jdl

It's the QE2 Bridge. Someone got the idea to add wood trim to it at one point in the 90s.

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Thanks it just wasn't ringing any bells in my memory, still it is nearly 21 years since I stepped onto the bridge for my first and only visit as an impressionable teenager....

john

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:43 PM »
It's the QE2 Bridge. Someone got the idea to add wood trim to it at one point in the 90s.
Warwick added the trim in one of the early 90s refits, to make the bridge more appropriate looking for the ship...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:49 PM »
In 2006, Commodore Warwick explained his own vision of QE2's future in retirement, before Cunard announced the sale: http://wp.me/prtfp-ky . I guess it hasn't lost any of its importance or appeal!

Please move this post if you feel it should go into an existing category.
Fascinating post, thanks for posting!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 01:07 AM »

It was added during the 1995 World Cruise. I was on the bridge with Commodore John Burton-Hall and First Officer Ian McNaught as they were adding the panelling.

A great video, thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:21 PM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Scott

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2010, 01:49 AM »
Does anyone know approx. what date the wood was added? It seems as if it was all of a sudden when it happened...

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37 PM »
It was being added between February 5 and 11, 1995.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/