Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth  (Read 47880 times)

Offline Fairfield

Re: Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #30 on: Aug 30, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Indeed, it's the same in many of the former dock and shipyard areas round Britain. Given over to in many cases in my opinion to ill planned residential and leisure areas just for the sake of filling a space. We need industry back, not loads of supermarket vacancies.
Paul Strathdee

Offline luzparis

« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:03 PM »
i love Queen Elizabeth  with her typical design modern and classic !! I love her interior  not very famous than Queen mary  and i love her story !!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #32 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:51 AM »
RMS Queen Elizabeth departing Southampton for the final time - 1968.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=83546

The superb Model of QE2 - Please, does someone know - might it be possible to see it?
I wonder where it is now; pray it didn't sink in HK harbour too....

Offline mickey g

« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:11 PM »
Help.

I have been given a pair of hand painted Queen Elizabeth cufflinks which I shall wear with pride on my January QM2 eastbound crossing (along with my Concorde and QE2 silver ones).

In the box is the mounting card which states "Special Manufacture" and "Made in Great Britain".

On the reverse is hand written "Geoffrey Holley" and "3E UPPER".

I am assuming that 3E Upper refers to his school class, however, as I cannot find out any cabin numbering system on Queen Elizabeth I just wondered if that could be one..............?

Can anybody help?

Yacht Club lover

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:35 AM »
A Slide show of Superb Catalogue / Brochure? Photographs of RMS Queen Elizabeth 1947

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2009, 10:49 AM by Twynkle »

Offline mickey g

« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Absolutely brilliant Twynkle, well discovered
Yacht Club lover

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2009, 04:10 PM »
WOW, great find once again Rosie.  Takes you right back to the golden days of transatlantic travel. 
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline 3QueensGirl

« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Do you remember? Today 38 years ago, on January 9, 1972 RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH went up in flames in Honk Kong. On this occasion I republished and old post which includes a correction about the whereabouts of her remains. For those interested in plans, there is a link to a set of documentary drawings. Long live the Queen.
http://cunardqueens.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/rms-queen-elizabeth-%e2%80%93-the-forgotten-queen/
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2010, 10:46 AM by 3QueensGirl »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2010, 06:37 PM »
About Commodore Geoffrey Marr D.S.C., R.D., R.N.R.
Master of RMS Queen Mary and RMS Queen Elizabeth

'Kentucky New Era' -  April 28 1976
Albany, NY
'Commodore Geoffrey Marr, the last Captain of the liner Queen Elizabeth is working these days as the second mate on the banana boat Manzabares.
"It keeps me young and from rusting away in the chimney corner of my home" in Wiltshire. England, says Marr, who has spent more than 50 years as a seaman.
Marr was aboard the Manzabares Tuesday when it arrived i the Port of Albany to deliver a load of bananas.'
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=266&dat=19760428&id=KbU0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=y2gFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4519,3146837

Commodore Marr - Obituary
'The Herald and Times' -  March 6th 1997
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/commodore-geoffrey-marr-1.409599
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 06:40 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Jem

Found this eyewitness account from the chap who took the now famous photo's. So sad, she did at least have a Viking funeral :( http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/ships/cu_qe.asp

Cruise_Princess

So so very sad......to think what this ship was like and what she represented,....God Bless her.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #41 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:44 PM »
What if she hadnt been sold? might there have been another location where she could have ended up? and is she in some ways the forgotten sister?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #42 on: Sep 22, 2010, 12:07 AM »
What if she hadnt been sold?
Selling her was inevitable, and unavoidable in the financial train-wreck that was 1960's Cunard Line.

might there have been another location where she could have ended up?
It's a shame that the Florida deal didn't work.  Both the U.S. deals, for Philadelphia and Fort Lauderdale, were swamped with corruption.
C.Y. Tung was going to be her savior, othewise it would likely have been the breakers for her.  I believe it was the Queen Mary deal that kept the QE dream alive after her retirement.  I think Cunard didn't want what was happening to Queen Mary to happen to Queen Elizabeth, and they didn't want to scrap her themselves, which was why they were on the verge of getting her back when Tung came along.   Had Cunard repossessed QE, she probably would have languished in Southampton at berth 108, like Mauretania and Olympic did. 
But that's not what happened.
L.A. was going to be her home port, so we would have had both retired Cunard Queens within a few miles of each other on a regular basis... and once a year, all three Queens possibly.  Tung probably wouldn't have been able resist the free publicity he would have had by having QE in port at L.A. the same time as QE2.  What a crying shame she had to die at the hands of an arsonist.   Who knows how long she would have lasted as Seawise University.  Not a terribly long time, I think, for a '30s era liner remaining in service in the '70s and beyond.

and is she in some ways the forgotten sister?
Definately.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010, 12:11 AM by Stowaway2k »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2010, 12:11 AM »
RMS Queen Elizabeth was named by Mr C.Y Tung -
She was CY's University
He said that he did this because he cared about her.

Offline Scott Ebersold

Found this eyewitness account from the chap who took the now famous photo's. So sad, she did at least have a Viking funeral :( http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/ships/cu_qe.asp

What an amazing story and pictures!  Thanks for sharing.   It's so sad,   Does any one known more about the conspiracy theories?

Queen Mary reopens

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 17
Views: 3147
Last post Aug 30, 2023, 02:56 AM
by Chris
Queen Victoria Suite

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 6
Views: 571
Last post Oct 25, 2020, 04:47 PM
by Andy Holloway
Queen Victoria - Iberian Serenade 11/11/12

Started by CAPBoard Past Events

Replies: 2
Views: 1839
Last post Oct 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
by LegendOfTheSeas
Live from Queen Victoria, World Cruise 2014

Started by TwynkleBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 8
Views: 5135
Last post Sep 01, 2014, 04:13 PM
by Twynkle
Makeover for Queen Mary

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 1235
Last post Aug 13, 2016, 09:35 AM
by Bruce Nicholls