Author Topic: Captain Ian McNaught  (Read 34543 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Captain Ian McNaught
« Reply #105 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Captain Ian McNaught awarded the Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO) in the (British)  Queen’s New Year Honours List.

Read more at :

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/sunderland-man-who-served-as-last-captain-of-qe2-recognised-by-queen-in-new-year-honours-list-1-9514111

Offline skilly56

« Reply #106 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:21 AM »
Ian McNaught's father was a marine engineer, but Ian went deck-side in his chosen career, as did his son, who was with us on QE2 in July 2008. The son was starting his sea-going career in 2009, so should be well qualified by now and in a position of responsibility on a ship somewhere.

Skilly

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #107 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Ian McNaught's father was a marine engineer, but Ian went deck-side in his chosen career, as did his son, who was with us on QE2 in July 2008. The son was starting his sea-going career in 2009, so should be well qualified by now and in a position of responsibility on a ship somewhere.

Skilly

Yes - navigator on P&O's Britannia.  Screenshot ( I couldn't get the post itself to link properly for some reason; it's post 157 in this one: https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=6357.0 ) below from the thread about the jigsaw from my painting:

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019, 08:26 AM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline skilly56

« Reply #108 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Thanks Peter.
Strange how so many young people at sea today have a sea-faring parent who was able to introduce them to the job in some way or another. Of the 20 NZ youngsters in my son's cadet intake, the only 3 who graduated all had their fathers at sea!
My lad is currently navigator/safety officer on 'Aurora', but is going to 'Ventura' around mid-year. He started out on 'Grand Princess' as a cadet, so 'Ventura' wont be a size shock to him.
He came and joined me in the Aussie offshore for 6 years, then Carnival UK grabbed him back when the oil prices dropped and the jobs there disappeared.
Cheers,

Skilly

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #109 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:58 PM »
Strange as it may seem, i doubt that there were any letters of congratulations on the award of the CVO to Captain McNaught, coming out of Carnival UK HQ in S'ton. He was not popular with the Hierarchy of CUK being a very traditional Cunard Captain who, not only knew his mind, but spoke it as well. In the end, their loss was Seabourn and ultimately Trinity House's gain. I'd love to be 'fly on the wall' at the first time he meets senior CUK managers/directors wearing his CVO, any 'greeting' fron them will certainly be through clenched teeth and forced smiles!!
An excellent Staff Captain and Captain to work for and with who I am proud to have served with.