Author Topic: Cruise Ship Webcams  (Read 341 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Cruise Ship Webcams
« on: Jun 18, 2024, 05:39 PM »
One of the first things that fascinated me at the dawn of the WWW in the 90s, was the webcam.  It seemed like magic to be able to see things happening in realtime all over the world.  I've never lost that fascination, and I still like watching live things on Youtube (bigjet tv and solent ships amongst them) .  Last year I waved at a famous webcam in Tokyo that I'd been looking at for years - it felt like being on the other side of the magic.

Anyway, cruise ship webcams took off in the noughties, and Cunard/Princess were early at it and QE2 was one of the first, with an amazingly clear camera that we still showcase here on the front page of the forum.

But there isn't one any more on the Cunard fleet.  Why not?  They have far better technology and far better internet connectivity than they did on QE2 in the 2000s, so its far easier and cheaper to do now.

The thing that reminded me was "Cruise Mummy" with this excellent web page detailing the ships that still do have live cameras to watch.

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/cruise-ship-webcams/

Come on Cunard, put a bit of the magic back !
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Andy Holloway

Re: Cruise Ship Webcams
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2024, 11:33 PM »
In 2007 I was able to link up with my family on Christmas Day thanks to a bridge cam. I was on Sun Princess and we were in Grenada, a very helpful Bridge Officer friend, pointed the bridge cam onto the dockside and I was able to wave to my family whilst speaking to them on my phone, when they would tell me to move left or right so that I was fully in shot.

Unlike Cunard, Princess ships were usually in port on Christmas Day if only untill around 1600/1700, even in a fairly religious place like Grenada where shops would be open while a ship is in port, potential dollars are more important!