Author Topic: QE2 1/450 Gunze Sangyo kit available  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Lachlan

QE2 1/450 Gunze Sangyo kit available
« on: Jun 04, 2024, 03:24 AM »
Hello all,
I have a 1:450 Gunze Sangyo QE2 scale model kit available if anyone wants it. I would ask for you to reimburse me for postage but otherwise the kit is free to a good home.
I bought it before I scratch-built a model of QE2 and then never got around to assembling the kit. Judging by pictures I've seen of completed kits, it makes an attractive and accurate model.
If anyone is interested we can exchange details and I will email some pictures of the box and let you know how much the postage would be.
Cheers,
Lachlan

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 1/450 Gunze Sangyo kit available
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2024, 10:09 AM »
I think all of us would like to see the pictures of the box -- and then of course pictures of the construction once a "shipyard" has been found.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2024, 04:55 PM »
Rather than offer it for free , it can be quite a valuable little thing id be more inclined to set a price and donate that minus the postage costs to the forum. 

i made the model up over 30 years ago but mine got damaged moving house and sits in the attic
Then again l also have an Airfix QE2 and the QM2 thing unmade in their boxes in the attic and a partially built Titanic 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2024, 11:48 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166794639962?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gXtToGpkTLe&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Q7WUElXtSLa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

As much as I would love to say , yeah send it my way! They are fetching good money on eBay, come up with a fair price and I may be in the bidding  :D

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2024, 08:51 AM »
Excellent model. I made it twice, once in 1984, then again in 1991 (photo).

Note that the box art of the most recent edition shows the QE2 post-1987, after conversion to diesel with the fatter funnel:
https://www.scalemates.com/fr/kits/gunze-sangyo-g-403-queen-elizabeth-2--1263655

However, the contents remain the same. All editions represent the QE2 in her 1972-1977 configuration
(Yes, I know, the red funnel on my model is a bit anachronistic!)

Unfortunately there's no kit building into her post-1987 configuration.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2024, 09:31 PM »
(Yes, I know, the red funnel on my model is a bit anachronistic!)

If I remember right, she did carry red on her original funnel for a while prior to conversion - so the only question is really whether the Signal Deck suites arrangement is correct for that time...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2024, 03:19 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I have attached a couple of photos of the kit. It is the same as the kit featured on ebay referred to in Chris's post.
I am happy to adopt Cunardqueen's suggestion and propose that someone make a donation of, say, 25.00 UKP to the forum and reimburse me for the postage cost.
If that is OK, and someone (such as Chris who has been the first to say he'd like it) replies that they're happy with that idea, then I just need to know what country I'm going to post it to and I can get a figure for postage.
I should have mentioned before that I am in Melbourne.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2024, 08:27 AM »
If I remember right, she did carry red on her original funnel for a while prior to conversion - so the only question is really whether the Signal Deck suites arrangement is correct for that time...?

You're right, the red funnel was introduced in 1983. So, as such, my model should have a white funnel. Or, as you mention, it should feature the additional Signal Deck suites fitted in 1978 in Bayonne, just behind the bridge.

By the way, one inaccuracy I later noticed about this Gunze Sangyo model is that the black corpse of the funnel is too high. I should have corrected that at the same time as adding scratch-built Signal Deck suites!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2024, 09:48 PM »
As much as I would love to say , yeah send it my way! They are fetching good money on eBay, come up with a fair price and I may be in the bidding  :D   

Im of that same view. While l don't actually need another one, sometimes its just nice to have a spare.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Dominic Burscough

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2024, 06:28 PM »
Hi there, do you still have that Gunze Sangyo model of our favourite ship? If so I would very much like to buy it if you could let me know the cost of both the model and the postage to the UK? I Live in Swansea, Wales. I built this model a few years back, and it was very hard to find then, and as I was lucky enough to sail on the QE2 in her final year, I decided that I would try to build the model as she was when I sailed on her. It took quite a bit of research of photos and appropriate parts to reconstruct what I hope is a fairly decent approximation of the real thing. ( I’ll attach some photos of the finished model if I can) Now I would like to build the kit more or less as it is presented, in other words correct for that period.
I’d much appreciate your help with this.
Thanks, Dominic.

P. S.  The photos show the additional decks and cabins I’ve added, along with various radar and communication domes. I just wish I’d kept a photo diary of the build!

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2024, 10:00 AM »
Dominic,
Yes I still have the kit. Let me find out how much the postage is likely to be. You did a great job modifying the model to make it into the 2008 iteration of the ship and it looks spectacular lit up.
I also made a model of the ship in her 2008 guise as we also travelled in her in that year. I'll pack the kit up so it's secure for postage then take it to the post office and see what the cost would be. I'm conscious that Chris Thompson and Cunardqueen also indicated that they would be interested but we'll all know more when we find out what the postage cost is.

« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2024, 10:41 PM »
Thanks Lachlan, much appreciated. Certainly if anyone else has first call on the kit then that’s fine, otherwise keep me in the loop! Thanks for the praise, I really wanted to do an accurate job for that era, I’m glad you like it. If anyone out there is thinking of doing something similar, I’d be happy to give any hints and tips about my build.
Cheers, Dominic.

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2024, 11:05 AM »
I have checked what the postage is to send this kit to the UK. It is AUD71.25 which is near enough to UKP37.00.
The idea was for the recipient to reimburse the cost of postage and make a bit of a donation to the QE2 Forum.
I am not sure what to do now....Chris, Cunardqueeen and Dominic have all said they'd be interested.
Now that you know the postage cost what do you say? I'm assuming Chris and Cunardqueeen are in the UK; is that right?

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2024, 01:10 PM »
That sounds like a very fair deal, and I would be more than happy to have the model for the postage costs and make the suggested £25 donation to the forum, but are you sure you don’t want something for your time and effort? Let me know what you think, and whether one of the other interested parties would like it since they were before me in the queue (E2!!)
Thanks, Dominic.

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2024, 08:46 PM »
Hi Lachlan, as much as I would love the model I have too many other projects going on. Plus I’m in the USA, postage would be a ripoff 😀

QE2 Model 1:450 scale - finished at last! [Gunze Sangyo]

Started by AlistairBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 106
Views: 42560
Last post Jan 08, 2020, 12:16 PM
by Craig Ligon