Author Topic: Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 Notes from the Navigator  (Read 8188 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 Notes from the Navigator
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2024, 10:10 AM »
I'm now wondering, were the navigational notes more detailed because it was the world cruise?  They seem more detailed than what I remember reading on our Cunard trips?

Cunard has changed the format of the Daily Program since we done a sector of the World Cruise in 2020.  On that program there was less navigation details than on this year's program.  On the 2020  program there was details of the Officers, however this was missing on this year's programs.  I have recently took photos of the programs rather than bringing the paper copies home, but I cannot find the programs for the round Britain cruise last year, so not sure when this new format was introduced. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2024, 09:46 AM »
It has been a week since I started this topic on the World Cruise Navigators notes and already we have reached the Pacific Ocean. 

It is good to see the topic has already had 242 views. 

Please post if you are enjoying the topic and if there are any ship's crew and Navigators on the forum I hope the Navigator notes brings back memories. 

Look out for the next instalment ....

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2024, 10:19 AM »
QV World Cruise 2024: Notes from the Navigator

29 January 2024
Queen Victoria will let go her lines thrust off the berth, exit the buoyage channel and disembark the local pilot. We will alter our course to the southeast through the anchorages for the Panama Canal passing 2.8 nautical miles off Taboguilla Island and Taboga Island on the starboard side. Taboga Island also known as the "Island of Flowers", is a volcanic island in the Gulf of Panama. It is a tourist destination, about 12 miles from Panama City, Panama. We will then alter to a southernly course entering the IMO adapted traffic separation scheme. Once clear of the TSS we will alter our course to a south westly and then westly heading.

30 January 2024:Puerto Quetzal Guatemala
Overnight Queen Victoria rounded the Eastern tip of Panama's Azuero Peninsula and set a Westerly course just twelve nautical miles south of Panama. Queen Victoria rounded the island of Jicaren at a distance of fifteen nautical miles and altered course to starboard to follow a North Westerly course parallel to the Panamanian coastline. Queen Victoria will continue to follow this course throughout today paralleling the coastlines of Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and finally Guatemala which lie on our starboard side. We will make our approaches into Puerto Quetzal on a north westerly heading embarking the local pilot and then entering the buoyage channel before coming alongside.

Read from the top of topic

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2024, 10:29 PM »

13 January 2024
As we awake to our second day at sea Queen Victoria finds herself steaming West across the North Atlantic Ocean. Beneath us is the Porcupine Abyssal Plain with charted depths of up to 4900 meters or 16, 100 feet. Abyssal plains are flat or gently sloping areas, covering approximately 40% of world's ocean floor. At its deepest point the Atlantic Ocean reaches a depth of 8,605 metres (28,232 ft) in the Puerto Rico trench.

14 January 2024
Overnight Queen Victoria continued her South- Westerly course across the North Atlantic Ocean. This morning finds us crossing over the Mid Atlantic Ridge where the depth of water is reduced to less than 100 metres in places, some 700 nautical miles north of the Azores Islands of Graciosa

I am catching up slowly with these notes, and it will take me many more days until I reach the place where Lynda is already reliving her wonderful world cruise.

Lynda, could you perhaps attach the map of your travels from the catalogue you received before you started?

Map added to initial post

As regards the quote above, I find it fascinating what we know about the floor of the Atlantic (or indeed any ocean). The heights and depths of the sea. Of course, steaming along the surface does not reveal any of this, and if you jump overboard, you will drown no matter how relatively shallow or deep the water is at that point. But it is an amazing thought all the same... and these great Navigator notes can make us wonder about the wonders of this Earth.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 04:24 PM by Lynda Bradford »

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2024, 10:34 PM »

15 January 2024
Queen Victoria will today continue a South Westerly heading across the North Atlantic Ocean, passing some 630 nautical miles southeast of Greenland this morning. We have in fact been making a series of small alterations of course throughout this sea passage as we follow a 'great circle' track. A great circle is the shortest distance between two points on the surface of the earth and is not actually a straight line. Due to curvature of the earth, Queen Victoria is following a gently curving track that if she continued indefinitely (assuming no land in the way) would eventually result in our arrival back in Southampton having travelled right around the world

It is only since crossing the Atlantic myself (on QE2) that I (think I) understand the concept of the Great Circle route. Because of the curvature of the Earth, various equidistant routes could be imagined between say Southampton and New York, and could be chosen depending on the weather or other relevant circumstances.

The same thing of course goes for long-haul air travel.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2024, 10:37 PM »
QV World Cruise Notes from the Navigator Sector 1 (contd.)

18 January 2024: Bermuda
Temperature: high 16% low 15% degrees

A picturesque port tucked at the bottom of the Main Island peninsular, Hamilton is the capital city of Bermuda, a British Overseas Territory in the Atlantic made up of a group of small islands. First discovered in 1505 by Spanish sailor Juan de Bermu-dez, the namesake of Bermuda, the islands were claimed in England's name in 1609.

Bermuda is a wonderfully eclectic mix of crystal-clear waters, relaxing beaches, thrilling cuisine, dramatic scenery, and bustling hubs of business and commerce.

Bathed in warm sunlight, sprinkled with lush tropical flora and bays of pale pink sand, Hamilton is the perfect gateway to an unforgettable visit to Bermuda.

What a wonderful chance you had to see a place that many of us will never get to see! The photos show what you probably saw during your excursions.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2024, 11:11 AM »
QV World Cruise 2024: Notes from the Navigator (sector 2 contd.)

1 February 2024
Yesterday Queen Victoria let go her lines, thrusted off the berth and altered her course to starboard before disembarking the local pilot. We then set a west south westly heading proceeding out to sea. Throughout the night Queen Victoria steamed through the Gulf of Tehuantepec, an area known for a local wind phenomenon called a Tehuano, or Tehuantepecano. Wind flows from the high-pressure systems over the Gulf of Mexico to the low pressure, warmer, moister atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean. The Cordillera Mountains block the flow of air, channeling it through Chivela Pass in Mexico, the lake district of Nicaragua, and also Gaillard (Culebra) Cut in Panama. This can cause an increase in wind speed across the Gulf of Tehuantepec, and the surface temperature can cool by as much as 10 °C in a day. This cooling subsequently causes convection currents and brings nutrient rich deeper water to the surface, which attracts fish and supports the highly successful fishing industry in the Gulf of Tehuantepec. Queen Victoria will alter her course to the Northwest passing 25 nautical miles off Punta Cometa on our starboard side.

2 February 2024
Throughout today Queen Victoria will continue on a North Westerly course just 15 nautical miles off the coast of Mexico. Queen Victoria is currently over the Middle America Trench where the depths reach 6300 metres, 20,650 feet, 3450 fathoms, or 3,4 nautical miles. The fathom is an old nautical measurement, said to be the distance between a man's outstretched hands, considered to be 6 feet.

3 February 2024
Today Queen Victoria continues on a north westerly heading across the North Pacific Ocean. We will pass the Baja California peninsula at around 30 nautical miles on our starboard side, which is on the north west coastline of Mexico.
Of navigational interest, we shall also sail over the Moore Bank, where the places shelf to just 18 metres or 59 feet.

Read from the top of topic

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2024, 06:24 PM »
Lynda - I am very much enjoying reading the navigational notes and literally following along on my globe. Following along on a globe or a map really does put into perspective the distances travelled. The photos are a great enhancement !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2024, 08:54 AM »

4 February 2024
We will pass west of Cedros Island on our starboard side and continue on a North Westerly track towards San Francisco. Cedros Island is an island in the Pacific Ocean belonging to the state of Baja California, Mexico. The dry and rocky island had a population of 1,350 in 2005 and has an area of 348 square kilometres which includes the area of several small nearby islands. Cedros Island is mountainous, reaching a maximum elevation of 1,205 metres. The economy is based on commercial fishing and salt production. The ocean around the island is popular with sport fishermen.

5 February 2024
Today Queen Victoria will be continuing on her North Westerly heading following the coastline of Baja California, then later in the afternoon the Coastline of California, we will pass Los Angeles off our Starboard beam and also pass 35 miles west of the Channel Islands. The eight islands are split among the jurisdictions of three California counties: Santa Barbara County (four), Ventura County (two), and Los Angeles County (two), The islands are divided into two groups; the northern Channel Islands and the southern Channel Islands. Established as the Channel Islands National Park in 1980, this park includes a marine sanctuary that protects six nautical miles of water around the park itself.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2024, 09:10 AM »
Lynda - I am very much enjoying reading the navigational notes and literally following along on my globe. Following along on a globe or a map really does put into perspective the distances travelled. The photos are a great enhancement !

Thanks June.  The number of days at sea on the World Cruise brought into perspective the distance travelled.  The Navigator notes gave so much information on not only on the Oceans but also on Islands such as those mentioned in today's post, Cedros Islands and Channel Islands of the coast of California. 

Now that I am home, like you I am using my Atlas to follow progress. 

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2024, 03:26 PM »
Great notes, Lynda ! I am learning a lot too with each post !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2024, 09:21 PM »
Lovely to see a map of an area that so many names iv have been able to visit on trips to that side.
Its seems like such a while ago but did you stop at any of the main ports San Diego LA or San Francisco ?
Im sure some of us can spend a while reading a map of an area that is known to us
In 1986 as part of the QE2s world cruise they included a map showing her route, l would follow her every day knowing that I'd be boarding in the summer.  long before the days of sat navs and home GPS.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2024, 12:01 AM »

Thank you, Lynda, for having added the map of your cruise -- what an amazing journey you have been on!

I am reading the notes slowly and have not yet progressed beyond Bermuda -- so a lot of pleasure is awaiting me still :) .

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2024, 10:17 AM »
Lovely to see a map of an area that so many names iv have been able to visit on trips to that side.
Its seems like such a while ago but did you stop at any of the main ports San Diego LA or San Francisco ?
Im sure some of us can spend a while reading a map of an area that is known to us
In 1986 as part of the QE2s world cruise they included a map showing her route, l would follow her every day knowing that I'd be boarding in the summer.  long before the days of sat navs and home GPS.   

Thanks Myles.  I would have liked the opportunity to visit the Queen Mary at Long Island, but unfortunately this was not on the itinerary.  San Francisco was the only California port of call. 

The port of Cabo San Luca had been cancelled as a result of an overnight stay at Panama to have the hull cleaned to meet with Marine Bio Security requirements. New Zealand had cancelled Cunard's Queen Elizabeth port calls last year, so it was important that our ship passed inspection.  However, as chance would have it the ship had a medical emergency and had to divert to Cabo San Luca for the passenger to be transferred to a hospital.  We didn't dock at the port but we did have a fleeting glance at what we were missing.  The ship was accompanied into the bay by dolphins and although we didn't see the whales we did see whale spouts.  They were just letting us know they were there. 

Thank you, Lynda, for having added the map of your cruise -- what an amazing journey you have been on!

I am reading the notes slowly and have not yet progressed beyond Bermuda -- so a lot of pleasure is awaiting me still :) .

Isabelle - Glad to have your company on this recap of the World Cruise adventure Keep reading there is still lots to enjoy!

Photos: Cabo San Luca

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2024, 10:03 AM »

6 February 2024
Weather: 12 degrees
Overnight and into the early hours of this morning Queen Victoria set a series of North Westly and Northly courses towards San Francisco. We embarked the local pilot before entering the San Francisco Bay Traffic separation scheme. Shortly after we will pass under the World-Famous Golden Gate Bridge. We aim to pass under the bridge approximately between 5.00am to 5.40am. After clearing the bridge, we will pass Alcatraz Island on our port side and then alter to starboard where we will finally berth alongside.

"Every man should be allowed to love two cities - his own and San Francisco" said author Gene Fowler and as you sail into the port, under the Golden Gate Bridge, it is not difficult to see why. Located in Northern California, San Francisco's hilly streets offer striking glimpses of its famous bay below. Discover fantastic food, local wines and glorious views in this vibrant metropolis where Springtime last year-round. From Fisherman’s Wharf to Alcatraz Island and the 1000-acre Golden Gate Park, San Francisco is a destination with something for everyone, where many hearts have been captured and lost.

7 February 2024
Weather: 11 degrees with heavy rain in the morning
San Francisco, officially the City and County of San Francisco, is the cultural centre and a leading financial hub of the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California. San Francisco (Spanish for "Saint Francis") was founded on 29 June 1776. The California Gold Rush of 1849 brought rapid growth, making it the largest city on the West Coast at the time. San Francisco is a popular tourist destination, known for its cool summers, fog, steep rolling hills, eclectic mix of architecture, and landmarks including the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, the former prison on the Alcatraz Island, and its Chinatown district. The Golden Gate Bridge was once called "the bridge that couldn't be built," today it is one of the seven wonders of the modern world. This magnificent orange coloured distance of 1.7 miles to the marlin headlines is perhaps San Francisco's most famous landmark, opened in 1937.
Pier 39 is the most visited destination and is famous for its seafood. Alamo Square is one of the most photographed locations in San Francisco and its famous "postcard row" at Hayes and Steiner Streets is indeed a visual treat. Getting around the city, San Francisco is one of the few places in the World where people can ride on a National landmark.

Read from the top of topic plus World Cruise map

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 10:05 AM by Lynda Bradford »