Author Topic: Cruise ship balcony doors  (Read 376 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Cruise ship balcony doors
« on: May 03, 2024, 02:27 PM »
Why do the balcony doors on the Cunard Queens not slide?  The doors are heavy and difficult to open sometimes, and the sound of balcony doors slamming shut is something you get used to.  Getting through the door while carrying things can be tricky.

My recent silversea trip has revealed the wonders of a silently sliding door, that you can leave wide open, or leave ajar.  It makes it easy to, for instance, take your breakfast out to the balcony.  How can they do it, and Cunard cant?  I see even the brand new QA doesn't have sliding doors.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Cruise ship balcony doors
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 11:00 PM »
Do they cost more, I wonder...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Chris Thompson

Re: Cruise ship balcony doors
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 12:37 PM »
My recent silversea trip has revealed the wonders of a silently sliding door

Same thing on our recent trips on Celebrity and RCCL, the doors will slide silently if folks operate them correctly!
Unfortunately we apparently had mountain Gorillas as neighbors on the last cruise ;D

The other neat thing is that the doors are linked to the Cabin AC and turn it off when opened, hence you can leave it open
whilst the ship is cruising. On Carnival we received a late night visit from security due to the door being open and were told off!