Author Topic: Hungry horse  (Read 438 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hungry horse
« on: Feb 15, 2024, 09:42 AM »
Hi all

I think we may have mentioned this before, but can someone who knows what they're talking about please explain the hungry horse? Effect and also if there's any link to QE2s rippled hull in places.

Attached is a photo of a new ferry which seems to be showing the effect more strongly than I've ever seen?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Hungry horse
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2024, 10:31 PM »
Given that's the Glen Sannox, it's hardly surprising that it doesn't look in the best condition is it...?!

The saga may not be over yet.  I've seen comment elsewhere on the web that she's not exactly suitable for either port on the run for which she is intended...  See this thread, specifically post number 7 which I have quoted:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/glen-sannox-on-sea-trials.262766/

To be honest, the problems in Ardrossan are going to raise serious questions as to whether Glen Sannox will ever sail from there. The Irish Berth in Ardrossan is now permanently closed as the linkspan is no longer fit for use, and the Scottish Government has clearly had enough of Peel Ports and their nonsense. The Arran Berth linkspan, also currently closed, is in terrible condition and both berths need a substantial refit. Peel won't spend the money needed, the Scottish Government won't subsidise Peel, and well... who knows what will happen next.

Troon is really not suitable for the Arran service as it can't accommodate foot passengers properly, and the distance from the ferry terminal to the railway station makes it very hard for Arran passengers. So the question is: where will Glen Sannox actually sail? The problems that Caledonian Isles has with the winds in Ardrossan won't change with Glen Sannox, and with the Irish Berth no longer in use, it will mean frequent diversions to Troon whenever the winds aren't favourable.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"