Author Topic: Late August 2023 photos from QE2 Dubai  (Read 2558 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Late August 2023 photos from QE2 Dubai
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2023, 11:54 AM »
Some more pics

- Alex's stateroom
- 2 pics of the Golden Lion
- Stairway, viewed from the Yacht Club
- Promenade view
- View from the dockside
- Chart Room
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2023, 11:55 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2023, 03:29 PM »
Wonderful photos ! She is looking neat and clean.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2023, 01:04 PM »
Not such a random selection this time, some night shots from Alex this time.

I think back to ten years ago, when times were at their worst for QE2, she really was in a pickle and was fully blacked out ... and seeing these also reminds me of the period after she arrived, which is now nearly 15 years ago, when we could see on webcams that her lights were still ablaze, and we all wondered what was to be.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2023, 09:36 PM »
I have to say that the illuminated streams of lights are growing on me - but are some of the lights not working?  It looks like quite a lot of gaps in them in those pictures.

"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2023, 10:41 AM »
I have to say that the illuminated streams of lights are growing on me - but are some of the lights not working?  It looks like quite a lot of gaps in them in those pictures.
Aye, it's a bit of a shame. The heat and conditions are pretty extreme, up to 50C, and even more within each little glass globe dangling up there!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2023, 06:06 PM »
Another wee selection of Alex's photos.

The statue in the otherwise empty Mauretanie restaurant
Britannia (look on the wall behind - they've clever put a photo of the Queen viewing the statue)
The foyer ashore
The stern
Promenade in the sun
bell
The foyer ashore 2

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2023, 11:23 PM »
They are great photos - I am torn between appreciation of seeing old favourites still on QE2 or in the terminal and nostalgia at the old carpets that are sill in place and then feeling cold at the bland decor / carpets in old favourite spots such as the Chartroom and Golden Lion which appear neglected shadows of their previous selves - although are hopefully  busier at other times.

is it known if they are intending to replace the remaining red style carpets at some point? - hopefully not although at the moment the old and new appear to be an incongruous combination.

I am aware that she is still very much a work in progress and have decided to probably delay a visit until all the intended work has been completed - there are promising signs with the new museum etc.

Gary

Offline Rod

« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2023, 12:40 AM »
Looking at the Aquatania bell, makes me wonder how  much the bell cost various people.
If you brought children into the Wardroom and they rung the bell, it cost the parents a round of drinks to All the occupants!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2023, 12:13 PM »
I'll stick to some of Alex's exterior shots this time.

You'll note the jolly coloured pipes from 2018 have been changed.  I believe this is because of some movement she suffered as a result of the recent storms that caused her to close for a short while.  She also has new lines...

Note also the propellor, which a little bird told me, will be being joined by its partner at some point soonish.

Offline Rod

« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2023, 11:56 AM »
I will give the owners credit.
The outside , at least is looking very good.
The inside apart from the cabin pics, I don't feel I can comment on because there have been so many changes that some places I honestly do not recognize them. But there again it has been well over 30 years since I worked on board.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2023, 06:07 PM »
It is wonderful to see all these photos !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !