Author Topic: Alex visiting QE2 Hotel Dubai, July 2023  (Read 4073 times)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Alex visiting QE2 Hotel Dubai, July 2023
« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2023, 09:43 PM »
Purser's desk (is it actually used for anything now?)

Was it labelled "Purser" rather than "Concierge" in QE2's active service days?

If it was, then wouldn't it being labelled "Concierge" now give us an indication of a possible - and very logical - use of the area?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2023, 06:27 PM »
Thank-you to Alex for sharing these excellent photos

I was also intrigued seeing the inscription "Reading maketh a full man" on the glass door, which made me think were they always on the doors. 

Looking at a bookshop photo in the gallery, you can just about make out the same inscription, but the text looks much smaller.  So would love to learn more.  Is this the original door or was it decided to use the same inscription on a new door?

I believe they are the original doors given they also still have the wave pattern towards the bottom.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #32 on: Aug 16, 2023, 06:30 PM »
Was it labelled "Purser" rather than "Concierge" in QE2's active service days?

If it was, then wouldn't it being labelled "Concierge" now give us an indication of a possible - and very logical - use of the area?

Indeed it was labelled as such and has been changed in her new life. When I revisited the ship in early 2020 the Purser’s Office was closed (including it’s doors) and unused and I suspect it remains unused as the concierge/reception desk in the lobby building fulfils it’s functions instead.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.