Author Topic: Behind the headlines: 2003 - Cunard’s QM2 hits the water  (Read 370 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Behind the headlines: 2003 - Cunard’s QM2 hits the water

This month back in 2003, as Queen Mary 2 thundered into the waters that fed Chantiers de l'Atlantique, the world embraced Cunard’s long-awaiting renaissance. Yet, if you delve behind the headlines of the time, there was much more going on...

https://www.worldofcruising.co.uk/editors-corner/qm2-history-origin-headlines
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Andy Holloway

Re: Behind the headlines: 2003 - Cunard’s QM2 hits the water
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2023, 11:44 PM »
People, many of whom know nothing of the two alternatives to Carnival in the potential bidding process at the time, that is Prudential and a Greek consortium. When Vistafjord went on her 6 week trip from LA down to the South Pacific we had 'representatives' of the Greek consortium sail with us! By the time we got back to LA it was down to one 'bidder' Carnival and the Greeks 'slithered' away leaving behind many unpaid bills including many, many hundreds of USD for satellite phone calls by one particular Greek Captain (who I had had the misfortune to have sailed with when I was with Premier@) to one of his many 'girl friends'!
Believe me, whatever you think about Carnival and their ownership of Cunard, the Greek alternative would have been 20 million time worse!

@ Now there was a true ********* (censored for decency sake!)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Behind the headlines: 2003 - Cunard’s QM2 hits the water
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2023, 12:21 AM »
Believe me, whatever you think about Carnival and their ownership of Cunard, the Greek alternative would have been 20 million time worse!

I can well believe this having experienced Greek ship management, any public re-telling would also require censoring/being toned down...
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.