Author Topic: Mystery photo : when and where?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Waverley

Mystery photo : when and where?
« on: Mar 24, 2023, 01:17 PM »
Where is this location?
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2023, 02:27 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Robert

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
Re: Mystery photo
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2023, 01:42 PM »
With the first St Helena on the foreground, I would say Cape Town?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2023, 03:28 PM »
Photo taken between June and November 1983 if this helps narrow the port down, given she doesn’t appear to have Alpha and Beta tenders yet in this photo. Her shortest lived configuration.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2023, 07:42 PM »
I have seen this before and also believe it is at Capetown.

Their successors met off Tristan du Cunha in 2011.

I have yet to see a photo of QE2 and the second RMS together in their service careers - Capetown would again be most likely location if one exists - although they were photographed together in Dubai in 2018 where the St Helena changed ownership ahead of her current role with Extreme E.

Gary

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2023, 09:58 PM »
After a little bit more detective work the photo was taken at Capetown by a D.R. Gillespie as credited in the excellent book 'RMS St Helena South Atlantic Mailship' by the ship's former Radio Officer Robert Wilson. Unfortunately no date is given and the encounter is not mentioned in the text.

I am extremely doubtful now on whether the photograph was taken in 1983 as the St Helena, after her stint as mother ship for the mine clearance squadron (HMS Brecon and HMS Ledbury) immediately after the end of the Falklands War in the second half of 1982 returned to the UK but was then further chartered by the MOD for duties in the South Atlantic between Ascension, the Falklands and South Georgia in the first half of 1983 and was not in the condition in the photo during this period.  She was then refitted / restored at Falmouth and finally recommenced her service to her island in late September 1983  and could not have been in Capetown after stopping at her namesake  island until late October at the latest - when QE2 was definitely on North Atlantic duty (crew running in Boston marathon at that time) before heading to Germany in November for her Magrodome refit including installation of the tenders mentioned by Thomas.  On looking at the photo again more closely I believe that the tenders could just be out of sight behind the lifeboats and the curve of QE"'s hull towards the stern.

QE2 did not call at Capetown on her 1984 World Cruise (Durban instead) but did on those in 1985 and 1986 before her re-engining and enlarged funnel, and I believe that it was on one of those calls that the photo was most likely taken - unless QE2 could have visited Capetown on another (non-World ) Cruise during this period?

Gary

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2023, 11:28 PM »
I'm sorry but I think that you can see Beta or at least part of it, and part of the enlarged  pontoon used at the back end during olaunch ports.

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2023, 01:41 AM »
Thanks Rod for spotting that there are signs of Beta and so confirming this photo is post-November 1983.

Having now discovered the Warwick's QE2 Abstract Log website the only calls in Capetown until her re-engining were those in March 1985 and February 1986 on the world cruises and so the photo would have been taken on one of these occasions.

Gary

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2023, 02:26 AM »
On zooming in on the photo I think I now see the tender pontoon and Beta too, also based on the sort of Upper Deck (aft) superstructure underneath Beta as well. The Warwick's QE2 Abstract Log website is a wonderful resource and archive!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Mystery photo : when and where?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2023, 02:28 PM »
Wonderful discussion -- I often marvel at the erudition and memories of our members here.

A great photo to bring us there. Thank you, Waverley!