Author Topic: Quebec 29th September 1982  (Read 732 times)

Offline Raymond Harper

Quebec 29th September 1982
« on: Nov 17, 2022, 03:31 PM »
Thank you for letting me join. My wife's late uncle was Alexander Hutchenson who joined the Merchant Navy in 1944 aged just 14, eventually rising to the captain of the QE2. In his final years with Cunard, he took her to the Falklands during the war of 1982. Sadly he died shortly after and I did not get a chance to know him very well but he has left us a treasure trove of old pictures of his time with Cunard along with his medals. This is just one of the many pictures we have of him. in this photo he is with the Governor General of Canada.   

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Quebec 29th September 1982
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2022, 05:40 PM »
Thanks for your post and photo of your wife's late uncle with the Governor General of Canada.   

We have started a Captain's profile of Captain A J Hutcheson, but currently have no information.  If this is your wife's uncle it would be fantastic if you or your wife can add information to add to his profile.  If it is the same captain can you confirm if the name should be Hutchenson, or Hutcheson?

Hope you enjoy contributing to the many forum topics. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2022, 12:37 AM »
Lynda,
I can vouch that the Officer in the picture is indeed Alex Hutcheson (no n).
Sailed with him when he was a First Officer and after.
An absolute gentleman!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2022, 10:31 AM »
Thank you, Raymond, for letting us see this photo of a memorable day for Captain Hutcheson. It is sad that you did not get to know him well, but with the help of your pictures and the memories of our members you may get to read about him and find out more about his life on QE2.

Looking forward to more pictures and perhaps some of your wife's memories of her uncle.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2022, 02:35 PM »
Fantastic!  Can't wait to see more photos from the collection!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2022, 01:53 AM »
Also looking forward to hearing more and seeing more photos !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !