Author Topic: Member Reviews of visits on board QE2 Dubai  (Read 47582 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Member Reviews of visits on board QE2 Dubai
« Reply #270 on: May 12, 2019, 11:30 AM »
A few more
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Great photos to see !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2019, 08:49 PM »
For isabelle - there are still charts in the chart room :)

That is nice to see! Thank you :) .

And maybe the Britannia figurehead has found a suitable place for herself...

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #273 on: May 13, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Overall the ship is looking in good shape and was as busy as I’ve experienced.  The Iftar was astonishing, our first, but an incredible buffet, costumed, theatrical story telling and as we’ve seen, a fully themed Quarter Deck!

We had a large cabin on Signal Deck, it still feels special to climb those hidden stairs from the QG Lounge/Bar...

Also on Friday, the brunch, a big deal in Dubai and akin to when she was at sea, was very busy in the Lido.  We choose to eat in the Golden Lion...to avoid about 5,000 additional calories!

We have stayed quite a few times now, in different areas of the ship and happy to answer any questions or advice to anyone visiting.

I can also confirm the ‘QE2 smell’ is still present in certain places...

As for Emaar, no idea, but as a company, they don’t mess around, a huge developer, so I think the vision for Mina Rashid will move forward faster now...although the smoke from QE2’s funnel
at the end of their promotional film may be a bit much to hope for!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:07 PM by Alex Tarry »

Offline Ed Derbyshire

« Reply #274 on: Aug 30, 2019, 09:02 PM »
I thought folks might enjoy a video I made following our visit to QE2 in May 2018 - it can be found on my YouTube channel (Westerly at sea) as

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #275 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:48 PM »
Liners' List is currently discussing QE2 -- the topic started with the article we recently discussed on QE2 in Dubai, but has moved on to QE2 at various stages of her life.

I believe you do not need to be a member of Liners' List to be able to read this, which is here :

https://groups.io/g/LinersList/topics

This is the specific topic :

https://groups.io/g/LinersList/topic/re_evaluation_of_qe2_in_dubai/71148518?

It starts with the start of the topic, and if you read downwards, the most recent posts will eventually appear. There are some marvellous posts going right back to the early years of QE2.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #276 on: Jun 07, 2021, 05:50 AM »
Thanks a lot for all the views.

Such familiar places. I feel like I was last in the Lido just a few months ago, not 10 years!

They've done a great job indeed..

Just been looking through this topic, and Marc has put into words exactly what I felt when revisiting QE2 in January 2020 and sitting in the Lido again but also in some other areas onboard such as Midships Lobby. It was surreal but in the very best way possible. Picking up from where I'd left off in a way I didn't think would be possible.

The level of familiarity and QE2's "spirit" as such, led to some barely controlled (unlike me) but discreet grief one evening in the Lido for old family times that usually feel like a compartmentalised lifetime ago but were very much before me again as I looked around and saw where we used to sit over the years and saw this juxtaposed in my mind's eye. I ought to add the music playing at the time also contributed to the mood. I am grateful to QE2's "spirit" and remaining significant familiarity for facilitating this few minutes of grief (expressing the grief occasionally and doing so discreetly/privately, being my coping mechanism) as indeed my overall reason for revisiting QE2 was to get as close as possible to those old happy family times short of using a time machine. It was a "pilgrimage" I felt I had to make at some point and I will always be grateful to both my parents to have been able to make it.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2021, 06:56 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #277 on: Nov 28, 2022, 07:36 PM »
Lahredco has posted some fabulous photos of a recent visit to QE2 Dubai into an album of his own, in our gallery.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=284

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.