Author Topic: Poster: Ocean Pictures celebrates 50 years of Photography at sea (1936 -1986)  (Read 827 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Vincent Scriven has sent a photo of this poster that commemorated half a century of Ocean Pictures taking photos onboard Cunard ships. 

Ocean Pictures photographers were on RMS Queen Mary's maiden voyage.  The poster shows photos of famous people who had travelled on Cunard ships.  But the photographers also created memories for passengers by taking photos when people boarded the ship, at onboard events, and the places they visited. 

Thanks Vincent for making this available for forum members to enjoy.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Thats fantastic.

I'd be interested to learn more about Ocean Pictures.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris Thompson

I'd be interested to learn more about Ocean Pictures.

They used to sell a book onboard the QE2 that was all about Ocean Pictures with loads of photos....anyone out
there got one. C'mon ex photogs give us some stories... :D

Offline Glenn Copus

One from my time with Ocean Pictures team

Online Andy Holloway

Most, if not all, Security Officers had a 'love/hate' relationship with ship's photographers, in that we were always trying to get passengers ashore as quick as possible for tours etc, while the photos were trying to get the passengers to 'pose' by the lifebelt as they crossed the gangway, 11 times out of 10, we won!
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2022, 11:41 AM by Andy Holloway »

Offline Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
They used to sell a book onboard the QE2 that was all about Ocean Pictures with loads of photos....anyone out
there got one. C'mon ex photogs give us some stories... :D

Stories? Hmm. So some were pretty mundane. I was shooting gangways in Ny one year on the upper deck entrance, playing with the camera when i see a couple come into view, stopped them and it turned out to be Rod Stewart and Britt Eklund. Felt pretty embarrassed as stopping A listers was frowned upon but he was very gracious about it and insisted i take the picture. Most of the time things were pretty tame as it was frowned upon to "mix" with the passengers. On my first tour in 1977 i think it was, it was not too hard but then again in 1987 things tightened up. We had to stand to the side of the night club and be low key. I was lucky to have a single cabin on 5 deck forward so no issues being spotted though as it was in a passenger area.

QE2 Final Voyage Poster from Chase Heilman

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 2540
Last post Apr 06, 2011, 08:36 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 poster reissue

Started by QE2foreverBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 15
Views: 3302
Last post Mar 01, 2016, 01:45 PM
by June Ingram
2013 Archive - Prize for the June photo competition -- QE2 Poster from the Ocean Bookshop

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 3
Views: 6659
Last post Jun 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
by Rob Lightbody