Author Topic: Shipbuilders and Shipping companies Flags  (Read 543 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Shipbuilders and Shipping companies Flags
« on: Feb 23, 2022, 10:31 AM »
With so much knowledge on the forum I am sure there will be lots of information that can be added to this topic. 

Shipbuilders Flag:  

"
Every shipbuilder had a house flag. This was flown at launches because the ship was the property of the shipbuilder and not the ship owner. The ship is only accepted into the ownership of the shipping line when it has been completed to their satisfaction. Up until then it is the shipbuilders responsibility and of course heavily insured should anything go wrong. Ian Johnston, author of the history of John Brown's Shipyard "Ships for a Nation".

When writing the February 2022 Newsletter, I have focused on flags flown on QE2.  This made me think that a topic on Shipbuilder and shipping companies flags would be a good addition to the forum. 

I found a website CRC flags with information and photos of house flags for the following companies.  The website has a wealth of information on flags see home page where you can select from options, including shipbuilders flags as listed below:

Alex Stephens & Co Ltd
Cammell Laird & Co.
Govan Shipbuilders
Harland and Wolff
John Brown Shipbuilders
John I. Thornycroft & Co Ltd.
Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd
Smith's Dock Company Limited

House flags of shipping companies:

There is also a list (in alphabetical order ) of house flags of British shipping companies.
https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb~hf.html

and shipping flags by country
https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb~hf.html

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Shipbuilders and Shipping companies Flags
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2022, 12:22 PM »
Something I was pleased to find out whilst on campus at Warsash in Southampton, is that the various house flags of various (now mostly extinct) British shipping lines are flown/displayed in St Mary's church which is right next to our main campus. I plan to visit later this year when back studying at Warsash and if I'm allowed I'll take photos to post here on the forum.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Shipbuilders and Shipping companies Flags
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Thanks Thomas for posting the information on where the flags are displayed.  Hope you get a chance to visit when you are back at campus. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank