Author Topic: QE2 and 9/11/2000  (Read 10437 times)

Offline Imonlygoingforone

Re: QE2 - and '9.11.2001'
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:26 AM »
We (QE2) got delayed arriving into Boston, due to a security alert in the terminal. We spent about 4 hrs going in circles outside of the port, before arriving in at about lunchtime.

Only 2 weeks before we had a helicopter up in NYC, taking photos of QE2 & Caronia with the Manhattan skyline. The sky was miserable, and the photoshoot was cancelled - I remember hearing the Captain say 'never mind, we'll take the shots another time, there's plenty more opportunities'....how wrong we were. The only picture I ever saw from that final sail away with the Twin Towers was on the Caronia. It was in the Officers Bar, on the right by the door.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2012, 10:35 AM »
The first time we sailed into Manhattan, New York was 1997.  The twin towers were a prominent feature in the photos taken of the Manhattan Skyline.  Sadly the next time we sailed from New York in 2003 the skyline had been changed forever.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2012, 01:24 PM »
I also remember the Twin Towers dominating the skyline as we sailed in on QE2 on our voyage 959 in I think 1993. Sadly all my video taken at the time on QE2 and my major personal record of her was destroyed when my camera ate the tape before I was able to transfer it.

Offline neil parrott

9/11
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Lets not forget what happened on that terrible day.I thought i would put a pic of me and someone from the day gang  taken on board in 1980.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: 9/11
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2015, 07:32 AM »
It is hard to believe that it is 14 years since 9/11.  I remember being at work when the announcement came through and colleagues gathering around a radio to listen in disbelief.  At that time we did not have phone Apps or the level of computer connection to TV channels, but an IT enthusiast managed to get us connected and we were horrified at what we saw. 

We had visited New York in the year 2000 and had been up to the top of the twin towers, so having been there we felt, even more for those involved. A very sad day indeed in our history and a day that has had an impact on conflict in the world.

My thoughts to all relatives and friends of those who died.  9/11 will never be forgotten.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online cunardqueen

Re: 9/11
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2015, 06:13 PM »
I think anyone who has been fortunate to visit the Twin Towers would have felt very involved in witnessing the 9/11 unfold. These photos have been posted before on here, but no harm in posting them again.
My younger sister was supposed to be landing in Florida that day on their honeymoon and were diverted to Canada, where they saw nothing but the inside of the Airport for 3 days. they did eventually get flown home.
It was very memorable watching the events on TV and while we knew my sisters flight wasnt involved... at least they were out of harms way.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 and 9/11/2000
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2015, 09:54 PM »
I would also recommend Alexandra's story "My 9/11", as she was in the USA at the time and returned by QE2 on her first sailing after 9/11.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4599.0.html