Author Topic: The Muppet Show on board QE2  (Read 2860 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

The Muppet Show on board QE2
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:23 PM »
5/5/1976 – ‘Take QE2 to London with Jane and Jack – The Muppet Show Live in Harley Gardens.’

<dead links removed>

In 2003, the Muppets again boarded The Queen Elizabeth II, traveling the reverse trip from Southampton, England back to New York. This time, it was Dave Goelz and Jerry Nelson doing the work, performing their characters for the other passengers.

Great article about the muppets on board QE2 -- and trying to get off the ship again in Southampton!

I wonder was anyone here around for these events? What were the performances for other passengers like?
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2022, 10:09 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: The Muppet Show on board QE2
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:53 PM »
5/5/1976 – ‘Take QE2 to London with Jane and Jack – The Muppet Show Live in Harley Gardens.’

<dead links removed>

Great article about the muppets on board QE2 -- and trying to get off the ship again in Southampton!

I wonder was anyone here around for these events? What were the performances for other passengers like?

Thats a fantastic find!  I didn't know they'd gone a number of times!  Love that photo of them on the bridge!
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2022, 10:09 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:27 PM »
The Muppets last travelled in 2003 (I think) taking a well earned transatlantic crossing...
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2014, 11:35 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I believe the Muppets first travelled on QE2 in 72 or 73. In cases in the hold! They were off to UK to try out there as they hadn't gone down well in the US!

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2013, 03:36 PM »
In the spring of 1978 I was on board during a NYC to Southampton crossing. I jogged on deck most mornings around 8.  Each morning I passed a tall, lanky and pleasant gentleman in a tweed cap, with fading red hair and a few strands of gray in his beard.  Each morning he would smile and yell as I ran by, asking how far I was running that day.  One morning we chatted.  He introduced himself as Jim and told me he was on his way to England on business and chose to travel on the QE2 to get away from the everyday pressure of his business.  He asked how I ended up on the QE2, how long I had been running and told me he and his wife wanted to begin running, but due to the pressures of their business they never seemed to have the time.  Other than on deck, I never saw him around the QE2.

The night before we disembarked in Southampton, someone told me Jim Henson, the creator of the Muppets was on board.  That's when it clicked that the very nice gentleman in the tweed cap was indeed Jim Henson.  I had seen him many times on TV but didn't make the connection when I saw him on the deck.
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Member Reviews of visits on board QE2 Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 277
Views: 46785
Last post Nov 28, 2022, 07:36 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Safety features on board QE2

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Officers & Crew Areas

Replies: 57
Views: 21614
Last post Jun 14, 2015, 04:10 PM
by Twynkle
February 2020 : Art works on board QE2

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 11
Views: 945
Last post Mar 01, 2020, 12:11 PM
by Rob Lightbody
QE2 - A Butler School is due to open on board!

Started by TwynkleBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 4
Views: 458
Last post Jan 17, 2019, 08:09 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Visits on board SS United States

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard SS United States

Replies: 3
Views: 2670
Last post Jul 07, 2014, 11:57 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski