Author Topic: The Bridge  (Read 7953 times)

Offline cunardqueen

Re: The Bridge
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Any visit to the bridge is an awesome experience, l first visited in June 86 my camera played funny and rewound the film so only a few pics exist then the second visit May 1987 was with the WSS and Captain Bennell asked us up and took a group photo of us for the magazine.

sorry my mistake, He wasnt Captain at the time.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2015, 08:09 PM by cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Very good, Myles !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2015, 08:10 PM »
and the eagle eyed among you may notice Mr Peter Radmore, and that name should ring bells.

Offline holynougat

« Reply #18 on: Aug 12, 2015, 11:21 PM »
I spent many a long hour standing on the Bridge of QE2....
QM's stood the whole time. When they were not 'in the barn' making tea... which could on occasion take several hours.
The SOOW did sit, the JOOW not so much. From about 2005 the 'Captains Chair' (well it was from a bus, but that is another story - as is what happened to it in 2004) was used by the OOW a little more.
Woe betide the officer who failed to notice when the Captain put his 'cap on' for arrival... we all had to follow immediately. Also when he removed it. Again this was going out of fashion after about 2004.
Stabilizers... well, when they did work it was from the bridge. We often operated in what became known as 'kebab' mode towards the end. This was one forward fin and one aft fin on different sides. Don't ask why it was called 'kebab mode' I have no idea.
Also, one thing we used to do a lot was when an officer was making an announcement from the chart room, it was possible to enter the electrical locker between the bridge and the chart room and bridge - to make the announcement you had to hold a switch down, but if you were in the locker it was possible to flick the switch 'up' from behind the PA panel, so it was often a case of who was stronger...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2015, 11:52 PM »
I spent many a long hour standing on the Bridge of QE2....
QM's stood the whole time. When they were not 'in the barn' making tea... which could on occasion take several hours.
The SOOW did sit, the JOOW not so much. From about 2005 the 'Captains Chair' (well it was from a bus, but that is another story - as is what happened to it in 2004) was used by the OOW a little more.
Woe betide the officer who failed to notice when the Captain put his 'cap on' for arrival... we all had to follow immediately. Also when he removed it. Again this was going out of fashion after about 2004.
Stabilizers... well, when they did work it was from the bridge. We often operated in what became known as 'kebab' mode towards the end. This was one forward fin and one aft fin on different sides. Don't ask why it was called 'kebab mode' I have no idea.
Also, one thing we used to do a lot was when an officer was making an announcement from the chart room, it was possible to enter the electrical locker between the bridge and the chart room and bridge - to make the announcement you had to hold a switch down, but if you were in the locker it was possible to flick the switch 'up' from behind the PA panel, so it was often a case of who was stronger...

History in the making - Thanks so much, HN.
Regarding the QM standing at the wheel - as in one of the photos, was this simply for the photographer - or did the QMs move the wheel (as opposed to levers etc) in response to instructions from the SOOW, or Captain, even?
The QMs could have got pretty tired - when it was foggy, and perhaps after sunset - did they keep shorter watches, taking turns more frequently? (Tea-making is still a popular pastime on board QM2!)
Was it 'Caps on' for the Pilot, too? Must have been a bit of a squash when the latter came on board with trainees / interested 'bystanders etc!
(About the fins - Kebabs, usually when under / over a BBQ / a grill, it's sometimes easier to have them placed alternately, so the ends of the sticks  stay out of the heat, and don't take up precious cooking space -Cool!)

Sounds as if That chair - the design, and fortunes of the bus-chair might need its own topic...!
Hopefully, like Queen Mary's Piano, it'll still be in situ.
All the best - and safe journey!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #20 on: Aug 13, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Sounds as if That chair - the design, and fortunes of the bus-chair might need its own topic...!   

Ms Scripps and Captain Warwick have a lot to answer for, I gather it was for charity.. ;)

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2015, 08:30 PM »
As I have written previously, I did have the privilege of "steering" "driving" or whatever the QE1 under Cmdr Marr, and it was definitely a Quartermaster I "relieved".  I was told it was for his tea break (in the barn???), but he had the good sense to stand right behind me in the event that I went berserk.  I've said this before, but at 28.5 kts with a lot of vibration, and despite holding the wheel as still as I could, the compass kept wandering back and forth, and any attempt to correct just made the situation worse.

shipwatcher's virtual QE2 bridge cam

Started by pete cainBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 4287
Last post Apr 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
by Lynda Bradford
The Bridge goes on 5 April 1968 (photos)

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 2
Views: 2713
Last post Aug 06, 2015, 09:43 AM
by Lynda Bradford
2013 Archive - Poll for the February Photo of the Month Competition : QE2's open bridge wings

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 24
Views: 11132
Last post Mar 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
by Lynda Bradford
2nd Bridge visit on Tuesday 29th July 2008

Started by Thomas HypherBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 17
Views: 4748
Last post Jun 21, 2019, 10:14 PM
by cunardqueen
QM2 bridge wing extensions

Started by Thomas HypherBoard RMS Queen Mary 2