Author Topic: Bill Hayley, QE2 Hotel Catering Officer 1968-1972  (Read 3703 times)

Offline billhayley

Bill Hayley, QE2 Hotel Catering Officer 1968-1972
« on: Aug 21, 2011, 09:24 PM »
I joined Cunard in 1967 as one of the first 6 Hotel cadets. I visted the QE2 in 1968 when she was being built on Clydebank. At the time I was fourth hotel officer on the old Queen. I joined QE2 on the 24 March 1969 as a third Hotel Officer, I left the QE2 and Cunard on 23 July 1972. I was in at the beginning and during the shake down cruises and turbine problems. I left just after the mid Atlantic Bomb scare. I worked as a Catering Officer, Cashier and Crew Purser. Was anyone else around in those early days.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 08:43 PM by Alan Snelson »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Hotel Cadets
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Hello Bill, and welcome aboard the QE2Story Forum!

You bring your very exciting story to this group, with your early experience and knowledge of QE2 at a time in her life when many of us were not fortunate enough to have known her...

Have a look around, I am sure you will find crewmates of those days here. And do tell us some of your stories when you get the chance -- I for one am looking forward greatly to hearing about the fateful shakedown cruise and all those other early days!

Do tell us also what a hotel cadet was expected to do at the time  :)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Hello Bill, welcome to the QE2 Story Forum.  I would love to hear more about your visit to the QE2 in Clydebank!  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2011, 10:58 PM »
A very warm welcome to you, looking forward to hear your stories about those early days

Offline Rod

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2011, 11:25 PM »
Hi Bill. Love your fathers songs!
I was on from 71-71 and 72-89...I was not aware of Hotel Cadets.

bobso

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Hi Bill and welcome to the QE2 forum. :) 8) There are many members on the forum who were members of the crew. Be nice to hear some stories of your time on board. Do you have any photo's of your time on board?--if so it would be great to see some of them especially from the early days. ;D :) Have a look through the site, i am sure you will find much of interest. Above all else--enjoy yourself.

Offline Woolston

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Hello Bill, I think I sailed with you on QE2,  I remember Hotel Cadets as being very innovative, it was the beginning of the move to Purser/Catering Officer interchanging in one Hotel Department.  I think either John Sawyer or Tony Kinsella were the first Hotel Managers of QE2; both from a catering background.
I was talking to Bernie Callaghan last week, I think he joined with you. Another name I remember is Peter French, who I believe went on to being General Manager of the Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong.  (Cunard's great training?)
You might like to know there is a Cunard Pursers reunion in the Dolphin Hotel Southampton on the 1st October.  If you are interested in contacting Bernie, or the detail of the reunion, please send me a private E mail I will be only to happy to put you in touch.