Author Topic: What was left original, at the end of QE2's service life?  (Read 13501 times)

Offline Malcolm

Re: What was left?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 09:04 AM »
l ended up under the bed one night, taking photos

That you ended up on the floor one night is quite understandable (some of the cabins were very small and there wasn't much room in the bed ;) ) but your taking pictures of the "activities" is quiet shocking  :o

I had that cabin twice and the first time left a business card in the depths of the cabinet, and it was still there the next year

I think this is a worry about the ship's housekeeping. In a similar vein there is a film of QE2 where Elaine McKay (I think) was commenting about a discarded lemon slice behind one of the settees in the Queens Room and that it was left there for an entire transatlantic crossing. These things shouldn't happen but sometimes they do.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 09:43 AM »
I had that cabin twice and the first time left a business card in the depths of the cabinet, and it was still there the next year

I think this is a worry about the ship's housekeeping. In a similar vein there is a film of QE2 where Elaine McKay (I think) was commenting about a discarded lemon slice behind one of the settees in the Queens Room and that it was left there for an entire transatlantic crossing. These things shouldn't happen but sometimes they do.

Perhaps l didnt explain myself, l first removed the lower drawers and placed the card on the metal surface,then put them back, like l said l dont even know what this was to prove
But in all my time l cant say l have had any trouble with housekeeping.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52 AM »
l cant say l have had any trouble with housekeeping.   

I would agree - housekeeping on the ship was always well above par. I admit that I didn't realise quite how well you'd hidden your card.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47 AM »
NOT to be rude on this one but most of the crew cabins.

Louis's comment has stayed with me... In all the transformation rumours, comments, discussions, denials, etc., no one has ever mentioned the crew areas, apart from the Officers' Wardroom and the Bridge...

And really, if QE2 were reopened now "as is", it is those very areas that I would love to see...

I know they would have had their spirit drained out of them, as the crew are no longer there... but I would still find it fascinating to clap eyes on the huge volumes of the ship that were always there, but not easily accessible to passengers, and somehow so well hidden! You have to admire those who designed this whole interlocking 3-dimensional jigsaw puzzle!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 11:13 AM »
And really, if QE2 were reopened now "as is", it is those [the crew] very areas that I would love to see...

I have never really given much consideration to seeing those area but, you are right, I would love to see them if I got the chance :)

this whole interlocking 3-dimensional jigsaw puzzle!

Last year a friend of my parents, who had been an officer on the QE2,was staying with them. Paul and I went round for dinner with them one evening. The conversation turned to QE2 and I mentioned that I had a copy of a very detailed set of plans. When the ex-officer saw these plans he said that he had never seen anything so detailed and was able to talk about how the ship worked, why things were as they were, where his cabins had been, etc. It was a most fascinating evening :)

Online Bob C.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 06:24 PM »

Perhaps l didnt explain myself, l first removed the lower drawers and placed the card on the metal surface,then put them back, like l said l dont even know what this was to prove
But in all my time l cant say l have had any trouble with housekeeping.   

I believe housekeeping on QE2 was impeccable but here's a great story along the lines of Cunard Queen's business card story.  Sitting in the semi-circular booth under the spiral staricase in the Double-Down Room in 1972 (I was 10 years old) , I pulled a tag off the back of my tie, reached back and stuck it underneath the staircase.  For some reason I remembered that I had done that and often talked about it after debarking in July 1972.  In the days leading up to our 1974 trip, I wondered even more if it would still be there.  Once onboard in June 1974 and after dropping off our carry-ons in our staterooms, I made a bee-line for the Double-Down Room.  I looked under the staircase and in the below photo is what I found...   
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2018, 08:01 PM by Rob Lightbody »

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54 PM »

Were those railings added or were they part of the original design?

http://www.worldshipny.com/qe2lament.html

This article by John Maxtone-Graham mentions the steel banisters and the reason why they were added. Even though I had been wondering about them from time to time, it was here that I first read about what happened.

Otherwise too, an excellent article, also recommended by Ali in a different context in this Forum :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,144.0.html

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 08:05 PM »

I believe housekeeping on QE2 was impeccable but here's a great story along the lines of Cunard Queen's business card story.  Sitting in the semi-circular booth under the spiral staricase in the Double-Down Room in 1972 (I was 10 years old) , I pulled a tag off the back of my tie, reached back and stuck it underneath the staircase.  For some reason I remembered that I had done that and often talked about it after debarking in July 1972.  In the days leading up to our 1974 trip, I wondered even more if it would still be there.  Once onboard in June 1974 and after dropping off our carry-ons in our staterooms, I made a bee-line for the Double-Down Room.  I looked under the staircase and in the below photo is what I found...   

Cactus!
I had never really noticed it before.  Cactus, on a ship, in heavy seas...   :o
I wonder how many people accidentally got pricked?

Anyhooo... Bob, another great story with a superb photo  ;D

A couple of things that stick out in my mind as marvels of the original QE2, are the iconic trumpet columns in the Queens Room and the beautifully designed ceiling.
I'm glad that the basic layout of the Midships Lobby never changed and that the center-trumpet column remained throughout.
Some of the artwork throughout the ship was original from beginning to end, especially that which became displayed in the A stair tower
http://travel.webshots.com/album/569008832liOnAH

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:13 PM by stowaway2k »

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 09:07 PM »
This article by John Maxtone-Graham mentions the steel banisters

If only I had read "a somehow endearing convex steel dimple beneath the carpet still pops up and down underfoot" before my last trip :(

KEV

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 05:14 PM »
What great attention to detail-plugs/underdrawers etc. Great shots everyone-great that these were captured for posterity. It all goes to prove that there was a lot more of the original QE2 left than has often been stated. I wonder if like my house there are old newspapers under the flooring/decking!(maybe the wooden flooring under the lounges hides newspapers from 66 etc!)
Also I wonder if anything was deliberately 'hidden' by the builders etc officially (eg a Timecapsule) or unofficially.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 08:05 PM »
... I wonder if anything was deliberately 'hidden' by the builders etc officially (eg a Timecapsule) or unofficially.
In some ways Kev, hopefully we shall never find out but no doubt there will be various 'graffiti' dotted around with guys names etc who were involved in her construction.
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 09:45 PM »
It all goes to prove that there was a lot more of the original QE2 left than has often been stated.

When the Midships Lobby, Theatre Bar, Columbia Restaurant, etc were refitted how much of the original remained behind the new panels? When places like the new Yacht Club or the Lido were introduced there was fairly major structural work so I would think that nothing of the earlier rooms survives but, in the case of the first three, it was really only a superficial change to the walls and ceiling - were the new wall panels just put over the originals? Just think of the wonders that could have been hidden there :)

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 11:14 PM »
I wonder how many people left little bits of theirs on QE2 when they disembarked for the final time? I heard quite a few people mention that they would...

I thought about whether I might, but then didn't...

Offline Twynkle

Re: What was left original, at the end of QE2's service life?
« Reply #28 on: Jun 12, 2012, 05:59 PM »
I wonder how many people left little bits of theirs on QE2 when they disembarked for the final time? I heard quite a few people mention that they would...

I thought about whether I might, but then didn't...

Ooh - Isabelle
Have you any more thoughts about this?!
It would be so good if we could venture round with a camera now - taking a look behind the furniture drawers etc looking for names etc left by the builders and others - crew-members, for example

Then 'Lost Property' - during days at sea, where was this kept?
I know books were taken to the Library, and often retrieved by their owners.
Rosie

Offline Rod

Re: What was left original, at the end of QE2's service life?
« Reply #29 on: Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 PM »
I wonder of the carton of cigarettes is still where I hid it before the Bremmerhaven 86 refit?
We used to hide all sorts of stuff like that before refits so we could still get duty free,and, what we were used to. I recovered 19 0ut of the 20 cartons but forgot about 1!

The original pencil thin funnel

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Features of the QE2

Replies: 28
Views: 13578
Last post Nov 21, 2017, 02:40 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2's original Penthouses

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 4
Views: 3740
Last post Apr 07, 2018, 06:40 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
100th Anniversary of the Cunard Express Service.... 2019

Started by TwynkleBoard Cunard

Replies: 4
Views: 1148
Last post Nov 12, 2018, 09:02 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
What happened to the original Tenders (Not Alpha & Beta).

Started by ChrisBoard The 1990s

Replies: 8
Views: 3718
Last post Jan 22, 2013, 10:58 PM
by Graham Taylor
A week in the Life....On board with Hamza Mustafa, Chief Exec...

Started by TwynkleBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 2
Views: 887
Last post Oct 04, 2018, 08:52 AM
by Alex Tarry