Author Topic: It's a long time since I visited here  (Read 614 times)

Offline Malcolm

It's a long time since I visited here
« on: Jan 20, 2024, 01:25 PM »
Once QE2 retired, my interest died - after all, I wasn't interested in a dead ship that would be torn apart in the name of redevelopment.  :'(

BUT a friend visited her last year and returned home saying there was still a lot to see, so I decided to go and see for myself.

I returned from Dubai on Friday and offer my comments about the ship in her current condition :)

Offline Malcolm

Re: It's a long time since I visited here
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2024, 01:27 PM »
The next eight pages!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2024, 01:29 PM »
And the next!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2024, 01:29 PM »
And the last :)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:00 PM »
Thank you very much, Malcolm, for these photos and written impressions. It is great that you managed to get into some areas that are not normally accessible to the casual visitor.

Did you stay on her? Was the cabin comfortable and were the meals good?

I agree with you, I have never seen a large Cunard clock in a cabin! Did it keep time?

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:24 PM »
Enjoyed your review Malcolm. Pleased to see the Princess Grill and the bar.
I aim to visit her again.
John

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2024, 02:48 PM »
Thank you for your most interesting posts Malcolm, you certainly explored thoroughly!

I didn't know about the Synagogue still being intact, although I suspected so, that's lovely to see.  Its the most original and intact space on board.  The religious artefacts were actually removed while the ship was still in service.  Nice to see the PG spaces are still intact... i wonder where all the hundreds of valuable Robert Heritage RACE chairs ended up... they've clearly got far more space than they know what to do with, or that they have guests to fill.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:49 PM »
Thanks very much, Malcolm, for your great photos and commentary !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2024, 09:55 PM »
Thanks for these Malcom!

I must confess, it is a little odd seeing the old outdoor benches down on the quayside. I can vividly recall awkwardly picking at the material on one of those whilst getting to know (read flirting!) my now wife, who I'd met onboard on the same voyage. Regardless, I'm happy to see they've been preserved and, judging by your relaxed posture, they haven't lost any of their comfort!

Having QE2 preserved and well maintained is such a relief for the both of us. We're planning a trip with our two daughters out to see the Grand Old Lady once more. These photos have made me all the more excited!
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2024, 04:39 PM »
The chairs from onboard that are in her reception/lobby building (Dubai's first/original cruise terminal that QE2 coincidentally inaugurated too) date from her 1986/7 re-engining refit, and apparently came from the now sadly gone Wardroom (Queens Room having the square chairs from that re-engining refit until the late 1994 "Project Lifestyle" refit).

I am glad at least some of the Boat Deck benches have survived, some also being placed at at least some of her Five Deck gangways. Seating out on the dockside was needed beforehand. However, it will always sadden me how Cunard was gouged off the wood and filled in with wood filler (something still very noticeable today) with seemingly no rhyme or reason given where Cunard was and still is retained elsewhere onboard.

Boat Deck is covered with a rubbery surface rather than just being painted. I was told they were having a lot of trouble trying to put down wooden decking (not teak) due to how much her aluminium superstructure was expanding and contracting in their climate.

The Rolls Royce was donated by a wealthy Emirati around the time I revisited the ship almost exactly 4 years ago. It was hauled aboard by hand as shown in the documentary filmed at the time.

All the cabins had telephones (with the very expensive satellite calling option) and the same make of CRT TV by the end of her career, although I don't recall the Cunard ship's clocks being in the cabins either. The flooring in that preserved cabin is not original, being the same as in the passageways of the refurbished Five Deck from when I had a peak down there via G Stairway. The watertight doors on Five Deck have been replaced with fire doors, but the cabins (for her live aboard staff) still have their original door handles although the original locks aren't used anymore.

Very surprised but glad the Synagogue is as it was upon her arrival in Dubai, right down to it's uplighters, as an original space onboard.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Greatest Liner of All Time

Started by Adam HodsonBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 1842
Last post May 12, 2014, 08:12 PM
by Adam Hodson
Link to 3 photo albums from my time on QE2 87-89 as PRS then bartender.

Started by amsmith123Board Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 1
Views: 1637
Last post Aug 29, 2016, 09:10 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Share your memories here - one at a time !

Started by singlemaltBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 4017
Last post Feb 03, 2009, 08:52 PM
by cunardqueen
How Long Will She Last

Started by pete cainBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 3
Views: 1349
Last post Oct 20, 2016, 02:34 PM
by June Ingram
Most Influential Liner of All Time

Started by kevinhBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 3328
Last post Jul 09, 2018, 02:08 AM
by Barumfox