Author Topic: Last Transatlantic daily programme  (Read 703 times)

Offline Waverley

Last Transatlantic daily programme
« on: Aug 04, 2021, 11:15 AM »
The last Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing daily programme on Tuesday 21st October 2008.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Last Transatlantic daily programme
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Great to see this, Robert, and thank you for sharing with us!

If you have a daily programme for each day of the final Atlantic crossing, could you share them one by one, one a week perhaps? This would give us a chance to read them and decide what we would do if we found ourselves on QE2 right now, with all the time we needed to make good use of the offers.

So here, we have Day 1 to start us off :) .

Offline Waverley

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2021, 07:02 PM »
Isabelle. I only have two other daily programmes, the Sunday and Monday from that final crossing.
I will add them over the next two weeks.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Well, let me start by just looking at the first page, as there is so much to see and to take in!

I would definitely want to go to Stephen Payne's lecture on the Great Cunarders.

I am also fascinated by the QE2 fact of the day, putting QE2's sailing career and the distance covered into a wider perspective, such as 13 return trips to the Moon! The greatest distance ever covered by a passenger liner... that is quite amazing!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2021, 11:12 PM »
This was the last full sea day on the final tandem transatlantic, the day we came closer together with QE2 and plenty of whistle saluting took place. It was a bittersweet experience like the final New York departure - being another bit of finality in the final season with Dubai just over a month away too. However, it was also very special seeing QE2 really up close in her element from the decks of another ocean liner.

My Dad videoed the whole event although he has only publicly released snippets from the beginning and end (as QE2 fell astern of us and turned to starboard enough to noticeably list) as he doesn't feel the rest of his video footage of the historic event is of good enough quality to share unfortunately. I have however taken screenshots from my Dad's video footage which my Dad is happy for me to share:
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2021, 11:28 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2021, 10:09 AM »
The opportunity to bid for items at the Auction sounds interesting. 

Thomas, what a fantastic opportunity to see QE2 at sea and for your Dad to video the ship.  Thanks for posting the screenshots, which are very good. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Well, let me start by just looking at the first page, as there is so much to see and to take in!

That was the trouble there was just so much going on. You could plan the day ahead and in the next hour it all goes out the window.Some things i never got to that l wanted and yet other things l did l hadn't planned. But there were a lot of passengers who belonged to Cruise critic , we had organised cabin cavalcades on the round UK and both crossings, Try to organise 30 or more people to view an inside on Five deck you had to ensure the owner of the cabin went ahead and stayed untill the last passenger had a look then you moved onto the next cabin by which time the group were a cabin or two in front   hindsight you will never please everybody all the time. we had tried to do it so it finished before afternoon tea and meeting in the Midships Lobby before kickoff , we did this on the round UK and for a moment clashed with the History tour by Thoms Q . I along with just a few others never saw him in the same light afterwards. You had  a whole list of names and cabin numbers who agreed to take part long before sailing, but on the day were no shows. Then there were the private parties and cabin parties, l had small gathering each day in my inside cabin just for an hour or so , and was delighted that Ted Scull could pop along with other notables during the crossings.Last time l saw him was in 1987 on the same ship.     

I always felt when the ships came together on the last day of each crossing that we could have come closer still, slow them down a bit and bring us just a bit closer
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2021, 02:00 AM »
Great memories and fabulous photos ! Every photo of our QE2 gives a thrill !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Waverley

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2021, 10:46 PM »
Daily programme from Sunday 19th October 2008.
Final Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing.

Cruise Deals Transatlantic Etc

Started by tdicksonBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 0
Views: 2163
Last post Jun 03, 2012, 07:42 PM
by tdickson
Transatlantic crossing 1974

Started by Sarah MacfarlaneBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 5
Views: 798
Last post Feb 06, 2022, 05:46 PM
by Bob C.
1982 transatlantic schedule wanted

Started by Myles ChantlerBoard The 1980s

Replies: 1
Views: 2054
Last post Apr 16, 2018, 10:07 PM
by Germanicus
BBC Timewatch Final Voyage programme

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 84
Views: 34277
Last post Nov 30, 2017, 09:10 AM
by Twynkle
Excluding QE2, which is/was the greatest Transatlantic Liner of all time?

Started by Adam HodsonBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 15
Views: 4732
Last post May 13, 2014, 02:54 PM
by June Ingram