Author Topic: The Theatre - Decorative Artwork & Renovations  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Chris

Re: The Theatre - Decorative Artwork & Renovations
« Reply #30 on: Jul 17, 2009, 02:01 AM »
Looks very different with the chairs in Blue.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Apr 03, 2010, 04:43 PM »
The main problem, I think, was the beigy-pink velour seats.  They LOOKED like they were from the early to mid 70s, even though they weren't.  I think if they'd been covered in something in a different colour, and more modern material, it would have all looked far better.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: Decorative Artwork
« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Regarding the seating, I found them extremely comfortable and often dozed off during a movie or a lexture.  Perhaps it was the ship movement, combined with darkness that helped too.  :)

Plus, it was always too warm in there!

Early Theater, dressed in her first frock:

<dead link removed>

You can read a description of the original theater decoration here
in the Transart Ltd. book:

<dead link removed>

zoom in for nice clear text
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 06:56 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #33 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:48 AM »
If there were rooms that I could be tasked to redesign if QE2 were still in service.. it would be this. The seats with the pinky colors look very dated. I would also cover up the stenciling on the walls. Maybe remove the stripes from the curtain?
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: Apr 08, 2018, 08:58 AM »
If there were rooms that I could be tasked to redesign if QE2 were still in service.. it would be this. The seats with the pinky colors look very dated. I would also cover up the stenciling on the walls. Maybe remove the stripes from the curtain?

Hi Trevor - in many respects, this was typically QE2, a great big part of her charm - other than on board Saga Ruby (ex Caronia), where else would you have found a sense and appearance of 'comfort' like it? !
You would have found this same feel (not 'touch') in very many places, cabins, the Grand Lounge is possibly another case in point - she was forty 40 years old, and changing this QE2 'Feel' almost throughout the ship would have required a complete re-think - then what period might you have copied?
You try the Theatre in QM2  - looks lovely, yes, however the sightlines are bad, the glass at the front, impossible, the bench seating not the best idea - and when I'm in there, I can't understand why, why why, didn't designers consider thinking about QE2's lovely theatre first!
We heard some of the most lovely music in the Theatre - the sound reproduction was better than the loud blare in other ships -  and as well as the wall decorations -I just loved the carpet, and the designs on the walls - it was by far better than anything so far seen on the Hotel Version!
I'd give anything to have a QE2 Theatre effect anywhere here at home!!
Rosie

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #35 on: Apr 09, 2018, 09:29 PM »
i remember sitting through a film on my first trip in 1986 for the life of me i cant remember the name of it, but sitting in the theatre watching a film as we battled  a force 9 was an experience !
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #36 on: Apr 09, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Not the most glamorous memory, but we enjoyed watching Kung Fu Panda there when sailing out of Valencia in 2008!!

Also listening to Ian Smith talking about Concorde in 2006, sailing to Svalbard, with his Model Concorde resting on the grand piano...

Then there was Jenny Bond talking “jungle”, can’t remember which sailing, was it round the UK for the 40th? 

Happy Memories!!!

QE2 Theatre Bar Lamp

Started by Scott EbersoldBoard QE2 Concept and Design

Replies: 7
Views: 4657
Last post May 25, 2009, 05:59 PM
by Twynkle
Artwork on board RMS Queen Mary2

Started by TwynkleBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 2058
Last post Jan 19, 2023, 01:53 PM
by Twynkle
May 2022 : QE2's artefacts (artwork, models, memorabilia and displays)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (2023 Calendar)

Replies: 10
Views: 1406
Last post May 31, 2022, 02:05 AM
by June Ingram
The Theatre Bar

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 15
Views: 5450
Last post Dec 24, 2015, 09:24 AM
by Louis De Sousa
The Theatre (opening 27th October 2018)

Started by Louis De SousaBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 7
Views: 769
Last post Nov 08, 2018, 11:30 PM
by Thomas Hypher