Author Topic: QE2's original Look-out bar, by Theo Crosby  (Read 15215 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2's original Look-out bar, by Theo Crosby
« Reply #45 on: Apr 13, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Seeing this room in such detail, takes me back to the Synagogue.  The wood veneer walls are very similar indeed, and the lights in the synagogue have the same effect on them as the back wall of the Look-out bar.  Its funny how your mind can stitch things together.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #46 on: Apr 14, 2021, 09:16 AM »
The Look-out bar screen, a freehold linen-fold design was designed by Gillian Wise (1936-2020)

Doing a Google search I see that unfortunately Gillian Wise died of Covid 19 last year.  I added information and links on the Theo Crosby's topic

Note on Look-out Bar designers:
Gillian Wise 1936 -2020 designed the Look-out Bar linenfold stainless steel and glass screen. See also
Lurashell seating was designed by Crosby/Fletcher/Forbes
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #47 on: Apr 14, 2021, 10:15 AM »
That's amazing information about the Gillian wise screen.

It was an artwork in its own right, and should have been saved!

Imagine if QE2's interiors had survived until she retired... They could have been retrieved if she was scrapped or used in the hotel, so much of her was designed by renowned designers.

I just don't think it's the same, at all, for any modern ship.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #48 on: Apr 15, 2021, 12:15 AM »
The Look-out bar screen, a freehold linen-fold design was designed by Gillian Wise (1936-2020)

Doing a Google search I see that unfortunately Gillian Wise died of Covid 19 last year.  I added information and links on the Theo Crosby's topic

Note on Look-out Bar designers:
Gillian Wise 1936 -2020 designed the Look-out Bar linenfold stainless steel and glass screen. See also
Lurashell seating was designed by Crosby/Fletcher/Forbes

I will do my best to honor Gillian in the reproduction of her screen in my model of the Lookout Bar.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #49 on: Apr 19, 2021, 06:32 PM »
See also Chart Reader topic for more information on the Chart Reader
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2023, 01:48 PM »
Can't resist posting this photo from 'British Marine Progress 1969' as I don't think I've seen it elsewhere.

It shows a stage area on the starboard side, with coloured downlights, and a scarlet piano to match the scarlet compass at the front of the room.

The furniture is black leather, with a moss green carpet.  The back wall is steel and bronzed aluminum and the walls are in cedar.

It must have been something to see.

Incidentally, it looks as if the Lookout Bar may have had more seats perhaps, than any of the Cunard-built ships 'Pubs'/ Golden Lions since.

A great leap from QE2's 1969 Look-Out bar, "something to see - and 2023's Music, "Something to Hear"in the bars onboard Queen Mary 2 as well as on board Queen Victoria.
2023 - Rattlin' around Queen Victoria - we found the best Irish music in years, Dad and Son - Evan and Bayleigh playing 3 sets every day.
Two of the best musicians, one playing banjo and guitar and the other, Irish drum and guitar - both with fine singing voices.
Originally from Tipperary and part of Clancy's band.
Another couple on Queen Mary2 - in the Golden Lyon, Aileen with lovely voice and guitar, and her husband, namely Stix on Drums!
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2023, 01:55 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2024, 02:11 AM »
found this if it helps
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2024, 10:24 AM by Lynda Bradford »

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1513
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2782
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody