Author Topic: Will there ever be another LINER ?  (Read 3324 times)

Cruise_Princess

Will there ever be another LINER ?
« on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Do you think that any other company would build a liner?  Obviously Cunard hold the trump card here...but with cruising so dare I say it 'common' ...nowadays...is there room for another QM2?   Somehow I don't think crossing the pond is popular with todays cruisers...they want a port a day and an all singin dancin ship...they dont want to be at sea for more than a day....so is it a thing of the past? Do they actually KNOW what a liner actually is?

I loved the transatlantic crossings....there are so many 'cheaper' repositioning voyages in spring and autumn but I would not want to sail the Atlantic in anything other than a 'liner' ..i don't like Qm2 mainly because of her bulk and size and would love to have the opportunity to choose which Liner to sail on.

Perhaps something smaller than QM2 along the size of QE2 would be more accommodating to all us  true shippy people.....might the day actually come when Cunard will sell off the vista jobs and build another 'liner' to sail 'alongside the QM2??? and open up the true line voyages we all hanker after?

What cruise company would build it? Is there a market for it... would it pay? .would be interesting to see what you think....
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2010, 03:52 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Will there ever be another LINER ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:12 PM »
I think Cunard are raking it in with QM2 crossing the pond - I think its proving to be extremely popular - quite a few crossings this year are already fully booked or nearly, and this is despite prices being higher, for us in the UK at least.

If someone could produce something smaller than QM2, but still designed to cross the Atlantic all year round, that would be just amazing...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:28 PM »
I venture to say that there would be good business for a liner between Europe and the Far East (say, Yokohama), stopping at various strategic ports on the way to carry out a genuine liner service, i.e. pick up and drop off passengers, cars and cargo. I am pretty sure that a similar service between India and East Africa could work well, and also perhaps another route, from Europe to South Africa via the Canary Islands and the West African coastline.

I dare say that Cunard would not be interested in these routes -- but how about a Europe to Australia route?

Online Bob C.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:35 PM »
I agree with Rob but it all depends on demand and your definition of "liner". 

With the popularity of cruising and the "don't need to be anywhere in a hurry" mentality hull shapes(the main characteristic of a liner - IMHO) will not migrate from modern cruise ship to a QE2 or QM2 "liner" design.  In other words, the Blue Ribband competition, the North Atlantic and the popularity of the trans-Atlantic trade of the early/mid 20th century drove the design of liner hull forms as far as speed and efficiency.

Tradition, nostalgia and,  in my opinion, a bit of a business gamble drove the QM2 hull design because her owners wanted to follow, at least in part, the trans-Atlantic trade of her predecessors.  To my knowledge, no other company is setting this as a priority. 

Perhaps a resurgence in the popularity of crossing the pond by liner will bring more cruise lines to design their ships with "liner" hulls but it will all wring out in the end in their cost-benfit analysis.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2010, 01:38 PM by Bob C. »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2010, 01:36 PM »
I have pointed out on my other thread https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1283.0.html that there should be a year round line voyage ooprtunity for an express liner to the Canaries and Balaerics.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:58 AM »
Will there ever be another Liner?

Probably the 'Pretenders' will have a go at joining the Liners club -
they won't be allowed in by the 'true believers', will they?!
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=83982.blog

Just a thought - can a cargo vessel be classed as a liner? (Pace - Rob, as in 'peace'!!!)
On second thoughts - 'spose Liner does need 'passenger' in front of the word,
a cargo liner doesn't sound quite right....
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2010, 08:23 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Cargo Liner is indeed a term. Many of the cargo vessels on long haul routes took passengers as well.

Cunard ships such as Parthia and Media were termed as Cargo Liners.

http://www.greatships.net/media.html

Hope this helps!!

Gav

Offline Matt

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:48 AM »
I cant see it happening, as much as i want alot more to be put out into the market! If it ever does happen, i can only see Cunard making a smaller one, say 100,000 GRT. However with the track records these days, and over use of the same designs (eg Vista), i cant see why they would consider a liner that costs '40% more' than a ship of the same size...

Matt
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Cargo liners exist even now. A friend of mine has travelled several times on Tiger Breeze and loves the experience :

http://www.freighterworld.com/index.html

and more details here :

http://www.freightercruises.com.au/tiger-breeze

This is one of the ships I would sail on at the drop of a hat, if only I had the time...

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:54 AM »
WE were more than keen to find a cargo ship to sail home on from the Dubai final cruise... as we hate flying..but on looking into it closely we were advised that Cargo ships have no stabilizers as cargo doesn't get sea sick!  ( We have only been sea sick once in our lives but wouldn't like to chance it) also no doctors on board.....just felt a little off putting....

What do you do with a retired ocean liner?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 16
Views: 6460
Last post Jun 01, 2016, 08:24 PM
by Owen Hamilton
I am new to this site and my user name is Ocean Liner Fanatic

Started by Ocean Liner FanaticBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 8
Views: 2510
Last post Feb 13, 2009, 06:50 PM
by Ocean Liner Fanatic
QE2 Ashtrays and other liner trinkets!

Started by OceanicBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 661
Last post Jan 14, 2021, 12:13 PM
by Oceanic
Tom McGee : Lifelong Liner Enthusiast

Started by Tom McGeeBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 4
Views: 1312
Last post Jan 25, 2019, 03:54 PM
by June Ingram
Is QM2 really a liner and worthy of the Cunard Brand ?

Started by jdlBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 48
Views: 18674
Last post Sep 03, 2010, 12:55 PM
by highlander0108