Author Topic: Alistair's visit to QE2 - January 21/22 2011  (Read 23001 times)

Offline Alistair

Alistair's visit to QE2 - January 21/22 2011
« on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I'm stopping in Dubai for a couple of days on my way back to Riyadh. Hoping to get some pictures of QE2 in her new location at Port Rashid.
Looking forward to seeing her again and more so as her new berth is closer to the road. I'll post a few pictures here when I can.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 11:16 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Bob C.

Re: Passing through Dubai this weekend (21-22 Jan 2011)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Very much looking forward to your photos Alistair.  I'm even more so looking forward to any concrete news on QE2's future!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Lucky man Alistair! Wish I could come too.

Your mission - to get a photo of you wearing your badge with QE2 behind you!

Have Fun!  And say hello from all of us.
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Mission accepted......arrrghhhhh.....my pc just burst into flames!

bobso

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:19 PM »
Have a safe journey and am also looking forward to seeing some pictures of how she is to-day.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Well QE2 must have ben very pleased today to be visited by someone all the way from Clydebank!  Alistair will tell us all about it as soon as he gets a moment - he's currently travelling.

Offline QE2 whistle

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Can't wait to see her.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:48 AM »
The deed is done. The day before I was due to go along to Port Rashid it was tipping it down. It almost felt like being in Glasgow! I was worried. I didn't want my precious pictures being spoiled by dull weather or mist. Fortunately the next day it was dry and the sky was clearing of clouds. I went along at the appointed hour, met my contact at the gate and after some minutes gettingt security clearance in we went.
You can see QE2 from the road much better where she is now. She looks stunning and was the biggest liner in the port that day. Even when stationary at the dockside with smoke coming out of the funnel she looks as though she is moving. Those sleek lines gives the illusion of speed.
It's quite a drive to get from the entrance to the dockside and there are huge piles of stones dotted around. I can only assume they are either for land reclamation projects or perhaps balast for large ships. However they didn't spoil the view at all.
I did resist the temptation to run up the gangway as I was taking my pictures as I didn't want to cause a security alert.

QE2 looks fantastic. The ship sounds as feels alive from the outside and looks like she could cast off at anytime and sail off anywhere.

I was proudly wearling my new QE2 Story badge though my choice of shirt didn't really allow it to be shown off very well. the fashion police are on their way!

Here are a few of the pictures I took.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2011, 10:16 AM by Lynda »

Offline Alistair

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:50 AM »
and some more......

Offline Alistair

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:51 AM »
....and a final parting shot.....

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Thanks so much for posting the write up and photos alistair!

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Alistair, thanks for the photos it is nice to see an updated photo of her

Offline QE2 whistle

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Thankyou, thank you, thank you Alistair.  It's so nice to see how great she is looking.  It's 10 months since we visited her and she is still looking every bit as good as she did then.  Thank you Dubai for caring for her.  Just wish they would open her to the public as she is.  We would go to Dubai for all our holidays.  ;D

Offline Chris

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Absolutely superb Alistair!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:27 AM »
She looks fantastic and every bit a queen.  I particularly like the last photo and agree with QE2 Whistle that she should have been opened up to the public while she has been laid up in Dubai.  I just want to bring her home and to go onboard again. 

I think you should have ran up the gangway Alistair even if you had been dragged off by security!
I was only eighteen the first time I stepped onboard QE2 in 1968. She was a thoroughly modern lady and I fell in love with her.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:35 AM »
I think you should have ran up the gangway Alistair even if you had been dragged off by security!

I think i would have tried lol

Offline Jem

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2011, 11:57 AM »
What lovely photo's Alistair. She just looks amazing. In the last photo she really looks like she's just cast off and is slowly proceeding to sea with her smoke drifting towards her stern. Thanks. ;D

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:34 PM »
I did resist the temptation to run up the gangway as I was taking my pictures as I didn't want to cause a security alert.

I don't think I could have resisted and would have sneaked on and played dumb until someone caught/stopped me.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:22 PM »
She looks fantastic and every bit a queen.  I particularly like the last photo and agree with QE2 Whistle that she should have been opened up to the public while she has been laid up in Dubai.  I just want to bring her home and to go onboard again. 

What will it take to hire some guides to take visitors through the ship in her "as-is" condition?  Granted the interiors are in mothballs, but perhaps they could set up a few representative cabins and open up the bridge and other previously unaccessible crew areas to tours.  I bet there are people, perhaps former crew, who would be eager to act as guides.  Going one step further, what would it take to say open up one of the dining venues to serve lunch or dinner?  Just thinking........put her to work making people happy again even if she can't move.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:19 PM »
She looks beautiful and well taken care of.  Thanks for the update and photos Alistair.
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:15 PM »
What will it take to hire some guides to take visitors through the ship in her "as-is" condition?  Granted the interiors are in mothballs, but perhaps they could set up a few representative cabins and open up the bridge and other previously unaccessible crew areas to tours.  I bet there are people, perhaps former crew, who would be eager to act as guides.  Going one step further, what would it take to say open up one of the dining venues to serve lunch or dinner?  Just thinking........put her to work making people happy again even if she can't move.
I could type a long reply.. but i think my short reply is .... what visitors?  By all accounts they aren't there, and when they are there (visiting cruise ships) don't care.

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:47 PM »
She is looking great...but time has to be running out...someone somewhere must be looking at their spreadsheets saying..."we need to see an end to these costs.."

To my mind the best outcome is to do a Rotterdam...reverting back the original interiors and layout and widening the cabins, as per that ship and QM1...

Location-wise anywhere with the money and will to do it would suffice but trade would be best in a location relevant to QE2, ideally Southampton...

It just can't go on like this much longer?

Alex...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:02 PM »
She is looking great...but time has to be running out...someone somewhere must be looking at their spreadsheets saying..."we need to see an end to these costs.."

To my mind the best outcome is to do a Rotterdam...reverting back the original interiors and layout and widening the cabins, as per that ship and QM1...

Location-wise anywhere with the money and will to do it would suffice but trade would be best in a location relevant to QE2, ideally Southampton...

It just can't go on like this much longer?

Alex...

It would have happened already, if it was clearly going to make someone money...

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Agree...is there any scenario which makes anyone any money though?  This is the problem...do you crystalise your loss and sell her or carry on sustaining maintenance costs for a third year...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:56 PM »
Agree...is there any scenario which makes anyone any money though? 

Yes.  Putting her back into service!  See other topic!  https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Alistair - these are Great, and Thank You for such a thoughtful 'gesture'
There are several on QM2 who will enjoy seeing these too.
I will try and keep the page open on my laptop without staying online
then QE2 can be enjoyed for free!
Rosie.

QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 9 whole years... she seriously needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Youngesteverpassenger

« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:06 PM »
I've only recently joined the forum and have not spent enough time reading all the posts but I have to say pictures can be deceiving!
We were in Dubai at the end of 2009 and managed a 2 hour...ish guided tour of the QE2 and I have to say 'she' is struggling with the heat - like most old ladies...

When we were taken round, there was definitely no air-conditioning running and the decks are in poor repair due to sun damage.

Lisa Wood

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  And fascinating first posting :)  And fascinating username too - tell us more!

I can say with certainty that in march/april 2010, the interior was air conditioned and intact.  The air conditioning has been running constantly, but that does not by any means mean she will be cool inside!  Which is why they've had to supplement it with shoreside AC units when its especially hot.  I cant bear to think what its like during the Dubai summer - she must be burning hot to touch all over... and inside!
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2011, 07:37 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2011, 09:56 PM »
interested to hear you had a guided tour of the ship.  Tell us more!
I was only eighteen the first time I stepped onboard QE2 in 1968. She was a thoroughly modern lady and I fell in love with her.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:03 AM »
and the decks are in poor repair due to sun damage.

This rings true though. Even in the UK our decks on Lone Gerd moved so much in a dry spell that she turned into a shower bath below on the first rain (we gave up & sheathed ours in glass-fibre/resin).
Sikaflex or similar which QE2's decks are probably caulked with pulls away from the plank edges when they shrink, leaving gaps which them lets the water through. Traditional pitch can melt in the sun and fill this. However it can get messy underfoot so I doubt QE2's are caulked this way. In service her decks were washed every day which kept them more or less stable.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Clydebank Post article (2 February 2011) on Alistair in Dubai.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2011, 12:49 PM »
That's an absolutely brilliant article, and maybe the best I've seen since the ship retired.

No factual errors!

Well done alistair!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Brilliant article indeed -- well done to get the coverage and keep the interest in QE2 alive!

And so glad for you that you managed to catch up with her -- and tell us all about it.

No factual errors!

How about "the anchored vessel"?     ;)

Offline Alistair

« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2011, 04:47 AM »
I have just seen the article and I have to say I am quietly proud!  8)
The reporter has done a really nice job of putting together the answers I gave to his questions. The side view of QE2 was taken as my local frind Abdul and I were leaving. He stopped the car and we climbed over a sand dune to get that angle. Glad we did now as she looks fabulous.

Isabelle......the anchored vessel? Do you mean the vessel that was sitting behind QE2? If so I'm sorry but I only had eyes for our queen that day. Hardly noticed the other ship but I'll have a look at the pics I took in case something shows up on them.

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Excellent article!!
Gill

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Re "anchorered vessel" - the article incorrectly says this about QE2 - which is, of course, not anchored.  I think thats what Isabelle meant!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:55 PM »
and the decks are in poor repair due to sun damage.
I think thats to be expected.  We've heard reported before on the forum that although to us passengers the decks looked wonderful in 2008, they were actually very thin in places, and would have needed significant work if she'd remained in service.  However extensive work WAS carried out on the decks in Aug/Sep 2009, to prepare her for Cape Town.  However they could well be a mess again now.

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:55 PM »
great article - and as ever, great to see the queen looking very glamorous!!