Author Topic: Ask the QE2's Captain (Ian McNaught)  (Read 23285 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Ask the QE2's Captain (Ian McNaught)
« on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:33 PM »
In the second of our 'Ask the Captain' features (the first being Robin Woodall) we all have the opportunity to ask QE2's last Captain, Ian McNaught, the questions we've always wanted asked.

Closing date is Friday the 6th 13th of August.

Once again, like we did with Captain Woodall, please post your questions here, which will let me compile them into a coherent list for Ian to answer for us.

This is open to all our members however I would appreciate it if real names could be given to Ian.  If you don't wish to put your real name on this topic and/or on your profile, please send it to admin@TheQE2Story.com with the subject of 'my real name for ask the captain'.

Many thanks to Captain McNaught for agreeing to talk to us.

To see how this worked previously, click here for the forum topic and here for the webpage that resulted.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2010, 12:39 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Ask the QE2's Captain (Ian McNaught)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:41 PM »
One thing I'd like to ask is when would they use "sprint and drift" as opposed to running at a constant rate?  By which I mean, at which sea state would the former cease to be economical?

I am asking because we had some "sprint and drift" in the Med on our Sept 2002 voyage ( under Paul Wright ); I noticed that the engines seemed to be running hard for a while, then not for a while, then hard again.  He confirmed to me when I asked him that they did indeed sometimes use "sprint and drift" when the sea was calm but I completely forgot to ask the question above in relation to it!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Thank you -- Rob and Ian. What a wonderful opportunity!

I would like to ask Captain McNaught to mention just two things that made QE2 special to him, over and above any other ships where he has worked up to now.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Yoooooohooooo!!!  Guess who...as if you don't already know.....It's Etta and Ann....we're BACK!  LOL

In the very unlikely event of our beloved QE2 becoming operational again....if asked ...would you be her Master again?   

also just wondered...have you gathered a large personal collection of QE2 items throughout your time with her.....

( hugs to Sue by the way!)
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2010, 10:21 AM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline Matt

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2010, 01:48 PM »
How possible do you see Australia being the home of the QE2 having sailed her farewell voyage through our country and seeing the support of the community? Which Australian port did you feel was the most emotional and atmospheric farewell to the QE2?

Cheers,
Matthew.

(More to come as i think of them  :))
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010, 03:58 PM by Matt »
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Well done Rob

"How are you enjoying your new command and do you find it strange to be Master of a ship that can sail the world over and not be recognised in the same was as QE2 was?"

Cheers

Myles
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jem

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2010, 01:59 AM »
Thanks Rob,

In this day and age do you think the North Atlantic could sustain 2 Atlantic Liners?

Jeremy

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2010, 02:21 AM »
Here's my question and should you decide to pass on this question, it is understandable.

"Thank you for the most memorable 22 days I have ever spent at sea, all on QE2, and all under your command.  Now, if ever the circumstances allowed you the opportunity to command the only true liner currently in service, QM2, would you return to Cunard?"

Cheers,
Ken

"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Cabin 1004

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2010, 02:50 PM »
My question for Captain McNaught is this:

Is there any real chance that a group can be formed (and enough money raised) to make a serious offer to buy QE2, bring her to Glasgow, and maintain her as an attraction there -- and, if there is, will you take an active part in such an effort?

Offline Andrew W

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2010, 03:19 AM »
Hi - great that you convinced him to do this. I have a couple.

1. What was the last thing you did before leaving QE2 in Nov 2008 ?
2. What went through your mind when QE2 touched bottom in Southampton Water as she came up the river for the last time ?
3. If you could have any command today of any ship - which would it be ?

Thanks, Andrew

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Thank you to Rob for this!
It's great to have an opportunity to express very many thanks too, to Captain McNaught.
His generous contributions during his many years of Service on board QE2 have made a significant difference.

The question to him now is, 'If you had been given the opportunity to choose something special to keep, what might you have chosen?'!

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2010, 10:23 PM by Twynkle »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2010, 11:29 AM »
I would like to ask the Captain what were his feelings the first time he took command of the QE2?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Hi Everyone, Thanks Rob for arranging this...what a great opportunity!

Ok, question for Captain McNaught:-

"What was the fastest speed you every experienced from QE2 during your command?"

Also many thanks for looking after my wife and I on our several trips on board with you in command...including very memorably the final TA.

Many thanks and all the best,

Alex...

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Well done Rob for arranging, and thank you to Captain McNaught for participating!

My question is in two parts, as Captain of the ship, I'm sure you would have had access to all areas at all times.

Were there areas you never went, and which part of the ship did you find most exciting to visit?

And did the feeling of excitment, as i'm sure you must have felt at least in the beginning, for exploring the ship ever wear off?

Cheers  8)

Andrew
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline QE2tandemcrossQM2

« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2010, 08:45 PM »
I have had two wonderful cruises on QE2 in September 2008 (Indian summer) and October 2008 (last westbound). The last westbound tandem cossing in October 2008  together with QM2 was really unforgettable. I will never forget the moment in NY, when Captain Ian McNaught stopped walking along the floor to shake my hands and to say Good Bye to me until next cruise while I was sitting on the ground near the theatre. My personal impression during my cruises was, that Captain IanMcNaught was the best Captain for Cunard and for QE2.
So my questions to the Captain are:
1.) Do you see any possibility in the near future to go back to Cunard and become Captain of QM2? I think it is the ship, you like the most, because it is the last liner.
2.) No question, you miss QE2 very much, because it was always your ship you wanted to be Captain on, since you were young. Does your new ship make feel you a little bit sad when thinking about your years on QE2?
3.) Do you see any chance to bring back QE2 to Great Britain where she should be?
4.) What about the danger of scrapping QE2? 
5.) Would you like to see her and walking around the floors in her actual condition in Dubai?
6.) What was your reason to leave Cunard and to go to Seabourn?

Thank you very much. Hope to see you one day on Queen Mary 2.

Regards

Stephan

Captain Ray Heath (with the Muppets)

Started by Andy HollowayBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 3864
Last post Mar 26, 2023, 10:54 PM
by Tyler DeLay
Captain L R Hasell (12 April 1997)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 2015
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Commodore T D Ridley, RD Captain RNR (26 August 1978)

Views: 3738
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:41 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain A J Hutcheson, RD RNR (13 March 1982)

Views: 2132
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
by Lynda Bradford
The Captain's Cabin (and invites to it)

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Officers & Crew Areas

Replies: 36
Views: 22508
Last post Jun 16, 2020, 06:44 PM
by Michael Gallagher